Isolation system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isolation system

Our building was set up with our quality lab right next to 3 of our blanking presses. It is vibrating the **** out of the floor. I finally got the go ahead to spend some money on an isolation system for our 3 CMMs. I am looking for recommendations on who to contact and how much I should be looking to budget. We are located in NW Ohio.

Also, we have a vision system checking for defects and the presence of features that is vibrating quite a lot out on the floor, so if one company could do it all that would be great.

THANKS

Sorry that I don't have an answer.

Just wanted to vent a little.

I don't know how many times in the past, "idiots" that don't know anything about anything, never, and may I repeat never, ask the people that just might know something.

The powers that be don't ask us about where to locate a cmm, they don't ask about the type and size of cmm.
    They don't ask about the software. They don't believe in the "unimportant" extras, like air dryers, surge protected power supplies, environmentally controlled rooms, etc.

I think that I'm done for the moment.
    Thanks for allowing me to let off a little steam. Too much bureaucracy, too little common sense.

Regards,
    ZydecoPete
    sigpic

Comment

I used to have a CMM right next to a big vertical broach that shook the whole building. I had the feet replaced with ones that were about 3/4 inch thick rubber. I think we got them from McMaster. That CMM ran like a top, no problems during run time or calibration.
      <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

It greatly depends on your CMM and what the tolerances are that you try to measure. Some machines are designed to be able to easily live in a somewhat noisy environment. The Xcel from B&S being a nice example. Some machine are far more sensitive, mostly due to their construction and require extensive isolation.

You can try a few experiments, like Craiger suggest, and you may be lucky and get good results. However, if you need to do closer work, you may need to go further.

Have an outside consultant measure your floor during regular operations. He can give you a transfer chart that gives the accelaration (mostly measured in G's) at every frequency. Every manufacturer has a chart for their machines that specify how much acceleration they allow at a certain frequency. Compare the 2 and you will immediately able to see whether your floor is within their spec.

If at (espcially the lower) certain frequencies you exceed the vendors recommendations, send your floor measurements to the manufacturer of the machine and let them recommend what to do about it. Then I suggest that you have them install a solution and prove to you that the machine now meets their requirements.

Severe vibrations are very difficult to properly eliminate.

Jan.
        PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
        Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

B&S had a contractor perform a site analysis before we purchased our first CMM from them in 1996. It's an Xcel 15-20-10 and they recommended that we also purchase a vibration pad under the machine I'm assuming because of the size of the machine and all of the vibration we were getting from the plastic injection mold area in this building of the plant. At that time we had an existing machine which was a Cordax 1808 that never got a pad or anything to prevent vibration error. We have since acquired an Xcel 7-6-5 and a Merlin machine and neither of these got any type of pad either.

I would recommend contacting B&S to see who they would recommend performing a vibration analysis...
          sigpic
          Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
          PCDMIS 2012
          Windows Office XP

Comment

Try here.

www.barrycontrols.com

TK
            sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

Years ago I had an 1808 near stamping presses. We used a "Barry-Mount" for the virbration... they work great. I don't remember where we got them from so you'll have to google to find them

Good luck fixing that issue...
              Out of all the things I've lost.... I miss my mind the most!

Comment

My last shop put 2 big CNC mills right outside of the room my CMM was in. I told them that it wasn't a good idea, because when the machines are taking bigger cuts, they'll shake the floor. Apparently, I was the idiot that didn't know better - well, until I had to shut things down when they were roughing blocks.
                sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

We use an air system from Fabreeka - seems to work OK

http://www.fabreeka.com/applications/cmm.htm

Comment

Barry and Fabreeka systems work quite well. However, be very careful because they are typically not as good for damping horizontal vibrations. I have seen these thing attenuate to the point where machine became unuseable. Have experts look at your floor. Vibration isolation is an issue that may or may not have a simple solution.

Jan.
                    PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                    Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

We have a Fabreeka air system under our B&S Global, and I have to say I'm not impressed. We've had several issues with the system not stabilizing correctly and one instance where one of the airbags ruptured and not once did the company seem willing to stand behind their product. Fabreeka flat out refused to send a tech out to replace the ripped bag or for the other issues we've had. Apparently they don't mind coming out to CA to install a system, but they can't make it for technical issues.

You might have better luck being over on that side of the country (I believe they are in RI), but I can't stand companies that will not address technical issues and malfunctions.

Comment

There are some good sugestions here. My advise is start cheap and work your way up from there if you have to.

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                          There are some good sugestions here. My advise is start cheap and work your way up from there if you have to.
                          Then start with a concrete saw and cut the floor around your CMM to create an island pad...
                          Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                            Then start with a concrete saw and cut the floor around your CMM to create an island pad...
                            If his maintenance guys are union that could be a 6 week job with weekend overtime and holiday triple time at $45/hr base pay.........

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                              And you might want to cut a bigger area so the cmm won't sink (distributes the weight over a larger area under the concrete).

Comment