Holding parts with magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding parts with magnets

How much will a magnet affect the CMM probe? I have some small parts I need to do a gauge R&R for, and it would be a lot easier for me if I could use a magnetic v block to hold them in place. The probe will be close to the magnetic v block surface.

I use magnetic fixtures/v-blocks/circular mag chucks all day long.

I always have the magnet turned down as much as can be (while still adequately holding the part of course) and do my best to keep the probe away from the magnet.

The only way to know for sure is to try it out, do some testing, and hope for the best.
    SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

There are styli with a ceramic stem if you want to probe around anything magnetic as long as the actual probe mod/body isn't getting too close to the magnets.

Double check with an alternate method to find confidence in your results.

Comment

There are magnetically shielded TP20s available as well. I've never used them though

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Ruff View Post
          There are magnetically shielded TP20s available as well. I've never used them though
          That's all I have, non-inhibit TP20 pucks. They are not effected by magnets. I think that if you are using a rack, you have to do it differently due to that.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I'll give it a try then. These are small parts, and clamping them down would have obstructed most of the part.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post

That's all I have, non-inhibit TP20 pucks. They are not effected by magnets. I think that if you are using a rack, you have to do it differently due to that.
              I have them too. With the rack, right before the probe change, you have to turn on IGNOREMOTIONERRORS then after the probe change turn it off.

Comment

• DAN_M
                DAN_M commented
                Editing a comment
                So in order for them do use a rack AND these pucks, you need to have a newer style controller.

The IGNOREMOTIONERRORS command (and a few others) won't work on older machines

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post

Can i please have a link or something to this? i have not seen them anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Disal View Post

Can i please have a link or something to this? i have not seen them anywhere
                Renishaw

https://www.renishaw.com/cmmsupport/...obe-kit--13528
                sigpic
                Originally posted by AndersI
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew d. Hoedeman View Post
                  thank you

Comment