Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob question 3/2/1

hey lovely people

When you guys say you use 3/2/1 alignemtn. do you acctually use 3, 2 & 1 points? or do you use more points for formdeviation too?

Is a plane/plane/plane alignment also considered a 3/2/1 alignment?

ty all happy friday

short answer
    we mean elements: hole, slots, points, plane ,,,etc

Is a plane/plane/plane alignment also considered a 3/2/1 alignment : Yes it is

Comment

I think it's related to 6 Degrees Of Freedom, how many of them each step lock. 3 2 1

Comment

More like the minimum number of points for the geometric features to created to align a part.

3 points minimum for a plane (level)
        2 points minimum for a line (rotate)
        1 point minimum (origin)
        Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
        Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

I'll often use a 3 point plane, 2 point line and a 1 point origin for a manual alignment to minimize the amount of operator involvement with the program. (Assuming that a read point alignment is not desired.)

Comment

I do as kingsld1 does for a manual alignment. For a DCC alignment (assuming the three features I am aligning to are flat planes) I will use three planes.
            Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was lost on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

• pcdmisstudent
              pcdmisstudent commented
              Editing a comment
              And for dcc alignment you use more points? and do you always do manual alignment on parts?
              We only do manual alignment once, then we unmark it and have fixtures. So we go straight into dcc alignemnt on the part, but i always use more than the minimium points for features

• A-machine-insp
              A-machine-insp commented
              Editing a comment
              pcdmisstudent Yes I will use more points for the DCC alignment. The manual is just so you can give the machine a general location of the part so it can run the DCC. That being said, I usually do an iterative alignment for the manual because I am in charge of model based parts so I do not have to worry about model issues.

If you are using fixtures then skipping straight to the DCC alignment is ok. We very rarely fixture parts at my job so I have to run a manual alignment every time. We have had parts that have failed something at final inspection so they want certain features on every part checked on the CMM. In that case I build a fixture, run the manual alignment, then mark it out so I don't have to run it again.

For a DCC alignment I generally use more points. The purpose of the manual alignment is to give the CMM a reasonable idea of where the part is located. I generally create a menu with an Input comment or YES/NO comment to allow the option to do a manual alignment. I'll leave everything marked. In the Menu scenario, The operator will see a selection of options, enter a number, and the program jumps to a label that executes the option.

Comment