New CAD and Scans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CAD and Scans

Is there a more efficient way to populate scan nominal when importing a new CAD.

I import a new model that has some features changed but the scan features stay the same. I have to go to the scans and actually re-program them to the new model for them to work others wise they don't run.

I've tried running offline with "FIND NOMINAL DURING EXECUTION" on with no luck.

Is there an easy button somewhere for this or do scans need to be re-programmed when a new CAD is imported?

Should I be overlaying the new CAD over the old CAD keeping only the surfaces with scans from the old CAD that don't change?

This is very cumbersome for me. These are R&D parts that are changing on the fly all the time and I cannot keep up so CNC machines are sitting. I don't like being the bottleneck.
    Jesse Krook

Well, is FIND NOMS and RELEARN turned on for the scans?
    Is USE SELECTED selected for the scans? (as in, the selected geometry)
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
      Well, is FIND NOMS and RELEARN turned on for the scans?
      Is USE SELECTED selected for the scans? (as in, the selected geometry)
      So I have to go into the 30+ scans turn on FINDNOMS and RELEARN, run offline and then go back in and turn all that stuff off or back to the settings I had prior?
      Jesse Krook

Comment

Originally posted by YGOLORTEM View Post

So I have to go into the 30+ scans turn on FINDNOMS and RELEARN, run offline and then go back in and turn all that stuff off or back to the settings I had prior?
        ALL my scans are set to, and use all the time, FINDNOMS and RELEARN. I never shut that off.

Since I work sheetmetal (and it can be thin) I also have USE SELECTED marked (on the tab where you select the cad data for the scan). If you don't have to use "USE SELECTED" it won't effect you, but I think you will have to also SELECT ALL the cad data for it to work. At least in 2016, if you don't have the cad selected that it is scanning on, then it won't get any nominal data from it.
        sigpic
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post

ALL my scans are set to, and use all the time, FINDNOMS and RELEARN. I never shut that off.

Since I work sheetmetal (and it can be thin) I also have USE SELECTED marked (on the tab where you select the cad data for the scan). If you don't have to use "USE SELECTED" it won't effect you, but I think you will have to also SELECT ALL the cad data for it to work. At least in 2016, if you don't have the cad selected that it is scanning on, then it won't get any nominal data from it.
          +1 I leave my scans on FINDNOMS and RELEARN as well.
          One problem that I have run in to is if you do [ Operation > Features > reset measured values to nominal > All ] it updates all the measured values but does not update the scan

Comment

I was trained to use DEFINED and FINDNOMS when programming scans. I've never used re-learn
            Jesse Krook

Comment

Originally posted by YGOLORTEM View Post
              I was trained to use DEFINED and FINDNOMS when programming scans. I've never used re-learn
              RELEARN will force Pcdmis to actually measure on all the surfaces whereas defined could cause a part that has variation from one to the next to not get scanned in low spots and stop/crash the scan in high spots (if it is more than the tolerance you select). At least, that is my impression of defined. I've never used it.
              sigpic

Comment

Sounds like some testing is in order. I'll have to (as time permits, which most likely will be never) try scanning a large surface using both methods.

Thanks for your input Matt....FYI it helps when the surface vectors are correct.
                Jesse Krook

Comment

• vpt.se
                  vpt.se commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Please fill us in on your results!