Temperature Compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature Compensation

How can I tell if our machine supports temperature compensation? We have a Brown and Sharpe Global FX 777 with a DEA control box and what looks to be a part temperature sensor. If I follow the help file and put a tempcomp command in the program, have temperature compensation enabled and select "Read Temperatures From Controller" (the help file says to use this for DEA controllers), it only ever shows the temperature as 20C on all of the axis. That leads me to believe the machine doesn't support it, or I'm just doing something wrong.

You should "reset to default"...
    You could check if you have a folder "Thermal_ocx" under c:/, with a serv1.stp file (setup of temperature sensors)

Comment

Originally posted by JEFMAN View Post
      You could check if you have a folder "Thermal_ocx" under c:/, with a serv1.stp file (setup of temperature sensors)
      I don't have a Thermal_OCX folder or a serv1.stp file anywhere on this computer. I'm also not sure if this is the original computer for this CMM as that could have been changed prior to me getting here.

Comment

You should find this file on a USB key supplied with the cmm... Or contact Hexagon ...

Comment

You should find this file on a USB key supplied with the cmm... Or contact Hexagon ...
          I actually opened a support case up with Hexagon a week ago.

Comment

Am I correct in assuming that since we have a temperature sensor that the machine was likely ordered with temperature compensation at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by ctw00 View Post

Am I correct in assuming that since we have a temperature sensor that the machine was likely ordered with temperature compensation at the time?
              I think so...
              I doubt that the sensor could had been a gift !

Comment

Did they map the sensors when the machine was installed? On both of our machines, the part sensor number is 9.

ctw00 Can you post a screenshot of your temp comp dialog box?
                153010 Global Advantage w/ LSPX1H_T Analog Probe
                7107 Global Classic TP20
                2019R1 SP1 CAD++

Comment

Originally posted by RIDER View Post
                  Did they map the sensors when the machine was installed? On both of our machines, the part sensor number is 9.

ctw00 Can you post a screenshot of your temp comp dialog box?
                  I'm not sure, the machine was built in 2003, I don't know if it was purchased by the company new or used. Everyone that would have been here at that point left or retired before I started.

Screenshot is attached (it is closer to 23C in the room right now.)

Attached Files

Comment

Put a 9 in the part sensor number box. Then click get current temperatures and see what happens.
                    153010 Global Advantage w/ LSPX1H_T Analog Probe
                    7107 Global Classic TP20
                    2019R1 SP1 CAD++

Comment

Originally posted by RIDER View Post
                      Put a 9 in the part sensor number box. Then click get current temperatures and see what happens.
                      It gave an error saying the temperature reported was outside the limits, I changed the threshold values to match the others and the error doesn't come up. The temperature reports 20.0C, even if I hold onto it for a few minutes.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• RIDER
                        RIDER commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It gave the error when you clicked Get Current Temps?
                        Did any of the other boxes change from 20°?
                        What numbers show up when you insert / Gage/ Temperature?

• ctw00
                        ctw00 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The error was because the 'Reference temperature','High threshold', and 'Low threshold' fields were blank, so the 20C temperature was not between the low and high thresholds (which were blank).

None of the boxes have read anything but 20.0C any time that I have checked it.

I do not see 'Gage' under the Insert menu, although the help file also mentioned that as well. (Software version is PC-DMIS 2018R2 SP12).

Originally posted by ctw00 View Post

It gave an error saying the temperature reported was outside the limits, I changed the threshold values to match the others and the error doesn't come up. The temperature reports 20.0C, even if I hold onto it for a few minutes.
                      What about "get current temperature" ?

Comment

• ctw00
                        ctw00 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have the same results if I click that.

Can you get to the controller interface via a browser to check the temps there?

Shooting from the hip:
                      It could be so that the temps at 20° are hardcoded (in PC-DMIS) for machines that don't have temperature sensors so it wouldn't affect the measuring results if you happen to add a temp command in your program?
                      PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

Originally posted by vpt.se View Post
                        Can you get to the controller interface via a browser to check the temps there?

Shooting from the hip:
                        It could be so that the temps at 20° are hardcoded (in PC-DMIS) for machines that don't have temperature sensors so it wouldn't affect the measuring results if you happen to add a temp command in your program?
                        This controller is serial based, so I think I would need to figure out the correct command for that.

That 20.0C readings are what had me questioning whether this machine supports temperature compensation or not. The sensors are there, I can pull back the Y axis covers and find them, as well as the part temperature sensor. That leads me to believe that either something is not configured correctly, or the machine didn't get ordered with temperature compensation (if that was an option), or the hardware has an issue. I have asked Hexagon about whether this machine supports it or not, but no reply yet.

Comment

Hexagon got back to me to let me know that this machine shipped without temperature compensation.

Comment