Multi-Port CMM Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Port CMM Rack

We currently have an HR-X style probe changer rack for our Hexagon HP-S-X1S scanning head probes: HP-S-X1S Scanning Probe.JPG .
    The current configuration only holds 3 probe pucks for measuring. It looks like this: HR-X Probe Rack.JPG

I have a need to have up to 6 probes available, depending on application.
    Is it possible to add more single port positions to this rack like these: Single Stylus Receptacle.JPG

Or can I possibly do two of the triple port styli receptacles like this: Triple Styli Receptacle.JPG?

If not, can anyone tell me of a rack that will hold the HP-X-X1S-1 Stylus Holder HP-S-X1S Stylus Holder.JPG that will hold up to 6 probe pucks?

I realize that I can assign more pucks to each port and manually change them out of the rack, depending on need, but I will not be the one operating the machine, at all, 99% of the time, and need the programs to be largely hands-off. The operators will need to pretty much open DMIS and press the "Execute (play) Button", and follow the instructions concerning setup and orientation, and possibly for taking a manual alignment. These will not be people who are proficient in what the CMM does, or why, but they just want dimensions on a report. I am attempting to program for largely untrained personnel to run the machine. To do that, I need to keep it as simple as possible (think: Instructions in red crayon with BIG pictures). I don't really want them trying to manually change probes, if I can help it. That could end up in catastrophe.
    Attached Files

Yes... Either way but from the prices I've seen the 3 slot modules are considerably cheaper than the singles... I just added a 3 slot module a couple weeks ago for a total of 9 spaces...
    Sheffield Endeavor3 9.20.8, Tesastar-SM, Leitz LSP-X1s & LSP-X1M, PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Comment

I did not read too much in depth of what you are posting, but you should be aware that even though the slots will co-exist on the same rail, you may have to define them as multiple racks. It depends on what slots you add.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Tech Redneck View Post
        Yes... Either way but from the prices I've seen the 3 slot modules are considerably cheaper than the singles... I just added a 3 slot module a couple weeks ago for a total of 9 spaces...
        So, it will hold 3 of the 3-slot module holders? Is there a big difference in the Calibration method for the rack? or does the autocalibration sequence have the 3-slot modules in a drop-down somewhere?
        When it comes to assigning the probes to the slots, do they show up as ports 1-9? or is it 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-1... etc?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I have always used TP-20 style probe heads. Never had a machine with the scanning head before.

Comment

• Hi-Tech Redneck
          Hi-Tech Redneck commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine does, yes. Now mine is made a little differently than yours probably because it's older but I put 3-3 slot holders with space left on each end. As for calibration, I just changed the number of slots from 6 to 9 and ran the calibration routine. As you probably know there is a special rack stylus that must be used or at least there is for mine. Take some manual hits on the first slot and the last slot and DCC mode does the rest. Again, my machine is almost 10 years old as is my rack and I'm running 2011MR1 so I'm not privy to changes that may have occurred with newer racks or software. If you want, I will PM you some pics of mine...
          Last edited by Hi-Tech Redneck; 10-15-2020, 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling error

Originally posted by Don Ruggieri View Post
        I did not read too much in depth of what you are posting, but you should be aware that even though the slots will co-exist on the same rail, you may have to define them as multiple racks. It depends on what slots you add.
        So, If I understand correctly, you are saying that, if I use the 3 slot module holders, they will have to be calibrated as individual racks?

Comment

• Don Ruggieri
          Don Ruggieri commented
          Editing a comment
          It's not really just a matter of a 3-slot piece vs multiple one slot pieces. Even though many of these look the same, they are usually different types, and there is even some crossover functionality. You can combine multiple one slot pieces to form a single rack reference, assuming they are all the same type. You can combine multiple 3 slot pieces to form a single rack with 6 or 9 total slots. Every rack you have defined starts at 1 and increments to the total number of slots.