Governing CMM Manual Move speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Governing CMM Manual Move speed

Please help! Is there any way to govern the manual move speed of a CMM? I want it to run in full speed in DCC but the manual move speed is quite fast and I have one operator that just refuses to slow down and has crashed 6 probes in the last 3 months just by driving them in to the part or table.
    He is a new operator so I have been giving him some grace but I need to figure out how to stop himself from breaking all of our probes.

We had a good reserve of 1mm probes but not I am having to go to the owner and explain to him why we need more probes again...

you need to start using readpoint alignments. no manual touching off of parts needed.
    it's just the greatest ever.
    Che Guevara is a communist scumbag.

Comment

• LaserJay
      LaserJay commented
      Editing a comment
      Darrollh His most recent crash (About an hour ago) there wasn't even a part on the CMM. He went to move and I guess went down instead of up. Since he was going 500 miles per hour he slammed straight in to the table.

• Darrollh
      Darrollh commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my!!! You might want to check the probe head for damage. Sounds like to me he’s a young guy and he’s not paying attention to what he’s doing. Since this is an on going issue, might want to get into the draft if you know what I mean.

• BIGWIG7
      BIGWIG7 commented
      Editing a comment
      sounds like whoever trained him did a crummy job.

I'd let him go to the owner and explain!

Comment

If this is a Hexagon product, manual move speed is governed by a setting in the controller. You would need to have service adjust this parameter for you.
      Systems Integrator
      Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment

Peter Fuller Good to know. It is a brown & sharpe ONE but it is on PCDMIS

I will probably go this route. I have hexagon coming to do calibration next week so that is good timing.

Comment

• Peter Fuller
          Peter Fuller commented
          Editing a comment
          I did a little research, the parameter he is going to look for is "Fast_Jog" and it's a MM/s setting. He should be able to take care of you and he can contact me if he has any questions.

Someone running a CNC machine that refuses to follow instructions and is breaking hardware..and the company knows about it..and it continues happening..its THE COMPANY'S fault. NOT his. Someone needs to put their big boy/girl manager pants on and straighten this dude out! =P
        Beep beep beep..

Comment

@BIGWIG7 I do love read point alignments, I have kept most of my programs touch points because that is what the operators are used to but now that I have been here for over a year our programs and setups have gotten significantly better and more user friendly so maybe it is time.

This is just a rant so feel free to skip lol
          The previous programmer didn't know how to use part to machine so some of his programs are just disgraceful and really hard for an operator to understand. Most of his programs start with a plane then an alignment to level and origin to that plane then the rest of the manual points and another alignment for the X Y origins. That is just one example of his poor workmanship. I could give you more examples of things that this guy didn't know about CMM programming then that he could give on things that he did know about CMM programming. Its a shame that he left because he really needs a mentor and an apprenticeship before he goes and tries to run another CMM department. It is possible for him to be a good programmer with training I am just mad because of the mess he left for me.

Comment

• BIGWIG7
            BIGWIG7 commented
            Editing a comment
            theyre just the greatest thing since sliced cheese.

LaserJay Readpoints will really transform your user's experience and will also drastically reduce/if not eliminate your operator's opportunities to crash your machine. Hihgly recommend you start getting into using them. We'll help as much as we can if you have questions. Have you been to level 2 or 3 pcd training?
          Beep beep beep..

Comment

• LaserJay
            LaserJay commented
            Editing a comment
            @DAN_M
            I have not been to level 2 or 3 but I know how to use readpoints. The operator I am having problems with crashed a probe this morning in to the table without even having a part on it so I don't think readpoints will help this guy.

No company is willing to send me to training because I already know how to program and it isn't really a good return on investment for them (they don't tell me that but it is pretty clearly the reason) that is actually something I will be requesting with my next review in January. I know there is a way to test out of level 1 which is what I want to do and go straight to level 2.
            I know some people don't advise that but if I only get one shot at getting certified I am not wasting it on level 1. I consider myself a pretty good programmer and have been doing it long enough that I am the lead programmer where I work and have programmed for many different customers.

Have him use the "SLOW" or "TURTLE" button when he operates the CMM
          Jesse Krook

Comment

• LaserJay
            LaserJay commented
            Editing a comment
            Even with the turtle on it is still a bit fast. I really wish he would just manage the speed like the rest of us do but I am happy to take more drastic measures to save probes

JEFMAN Peter Fuller Thank you guys for the help
          The machine was set to 150mm/sec fast and 50mm/sec slow
          I reduced it to 50mm/sec fast and 20mm/sec slow

It is much slower but not too bad with it only being a 7.7.5
          hopefully this is the remedy to my probes breaking problem
          If not I am going to be very upset lol

Comment

• BIGWIG7
            BIGWIG7 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know how you're keeping your isth together already. i'd be furious. accidents happen but not paying attention and slamming the probe into the table is a pretty big indicator of how much this guy cares about your machine.

• DAN_M
            DAN_M commented
            Editing a comment
            its not an accident. the guy doesn't give a s#it because he doesn't have to because the people managing the CMM aren't issuing consequences for intentionally crashing a machine that costs as much as a house. Since its not my machine, I think its funny..but [email protected] is it sad! lol

• BIGWIG7
            BIGWIG7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed fo sho