Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 R2 Surface Profile Outputs

Good afternoon,

My first issue is that 2020 R2 automatically checks the "Iterate and RePierce CAD" box under the nominals tab for all our surface profile outputs when I load an existing program made using a previous version. Is there any way I can prevent it from doing this?

Also, I noticed that simultaneous evaluation is now called simultaneous tolerance and no longer works to output multiple surface profile dimensions. Now multiple scans can be selected directly from the dimension window, but we have many a program that used simultaneous evaluation and then analysisview to output our profile results and give a visual. Will I have to manually adjust all our programs? Looking for an easier way...

Why do you want to turn off "iterate and RePierce CAD"? The reason it is automatically selected is to ensure the correct hit nominals when the best fitting is performed so in most cases, it should be left on.

Simultaneous tolerance does work. It is only valid for position and profile and the DRFs must reference the same datums, in the same order, with the same modifiers. This is as per the ASME rules regarding simultaneous evaluations. When you open up the dialog for the command and select your first dimension, it automatically filters so that you can only select other dimensions that satisfy the rules. This was the first step in making things simpler for the user. The ultimate goal will be to get PC-Dmis to determine whether a simultaneous tolerance is required and automatically apply it to the affected dimensions. It is also worth noting that the new command behaves differently to the old one. When you did an old simultaneous evaluation, PC-Dmis un-marked the affected dimensions and created a new command that output everything together on the report. We received a lot of feedback from users who were unhappy with this behaviour as it re-ordered their reports. The new command does not un-mark anything and the dimensions will display on the report in the same order that they did before the simultaneous tolerance command was inserted. Each dimension being evaluated simultaneously will show a note in the report label stating that it is a simultaneous tolerance. During execution, the affected dimensions will show a "waiting" state until all of the referenced dimensions have been executed, at which point they will update.
    Neil Challinor
    PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
    E: [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the response Neil.

It was my understanding that the "Iterate and RePierce CAD" option was for complex surfaces where a small difference in vector values could produce inaccurate results. Most of our profile callouts are on fairly simple surfaces so I'm not sure if it's necessary. I will experiment with this option, but at the end of the day I feel like PC DMIS shouldn't be modifying our already existing programs this way.

As for the simultaneous evaluation command, I understand the grouping rules and have always followed them, but I don't understand why it no longer groups together the outputs on the report. That is one of the only reasons why I used the command haha (that and for analysisview). What's the point of doing a simultaneous tolerance if it achieves the same result as outputting each dimension individually? Statistics? Maybe an option could be put in for those who do want their report re-ordered.

Lastly, is there a reason why analysisview no longer works with simultaneous evaluation of profile outputs? In the program I ran yesterday, I had to go back and select each profile output separately in the analysisview command because with the simultaneous tolerance selected nothing was displayed on the report.

Comment

A simultaneous evaluation is not the same as out putting the dimensions individually. It should only be used when you have modifiers on datum features and the same datums with the same modifiers in the same order are applied to multiple position of profile call outs. The purpose is to ensure that the fitting applied is the same for all of the considered features - i.e. all dimensions involved have the same datum shift applied. If you dimension everything separately, you could have the situation where one feature applies datum shift in one direction whereas another feature with the same callout applies the datum shift in a different direction. Individually the call outs might pass but done as a simultaneous evaluation they would fail. The graphical analysis was working correctly for simultaneous evaluations when I tested it. I'd have to see your program and drawing to check that you are doing things correctly and be able to investigate.
        Neil Challinor
        PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
        E: [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the explanation of the same datum shifts. Makes sense. Would still like to be able to group together on the report as before though.

The graphical analysis worked in 2019 R2 but stopped working when I updated to 2020 R2.

Comment