Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Related Questions

Hi guys... New company, new issues...

I started a new company on Monday, where there have been some really questionable things done around the CMM. The company IT didn't want to set the computer that came with the system on the network, and maintain security, and from what I have been told, the last programmer wiped a lot off of the hard drive. Any way... to my issue...

I have never worked with a scanning head CMM before, so this is a new puppy for me.

Looking at the way the master probe has been built, they have the Leitz_LSPX1H_T (Red arrow in the attachment below). The actual probe on the machine is a Hexagon probe (HP-S-x1H). Slot 1 Probe Setup Marked.png

First Question: Are these probes interchangeable in the build? The Hexagon probe number is not listed in the build menu, so I was unable to replicate the probe as a master probe.
    Second question: Is the part shown in the build beside the blue arrow the arbor for this head? Again, I am unfamiliar with scanning-head systems, so that is why I am asking.

Next, the head crashes every time that I go to auto-change probes, the spike at the back of the port hits the arbor on the way in and causes an overload fault. it basically says that it had an over deflection. looking closer, the spike hits the arbor below the hole. I homed the machine. I calibrated the probe to the qualification sphere, and then performed a rack calibration, using the master probe with only a 5x20 stylus on the arbor. Everything seemed to look good. Then I assigned the probes to their slots. When I went to change probes, it hit again. After it hits, the controller will not talk to the computer again until I cut both the machine and the computer off, and restart them both, causing it to home again. Waiting for Response.PNGThis message shows up in the bottom corner of the screen.

Third question: Am I doing something wrong?

Finally, the machine is loaded with 2018 R1. Not sure if we have an SMA or not. I have wondered if possible that there is an interface issue with the software, or the computer hardware. We plan to get an SMA, if we do not have one, and update the software, but I am hearing a lot of issues with the 2020 version.

Fourth Question: Can you update to the 2019 R2 software, or do you have to go to the most current version?

We are having so many other issues with this system, that I would not want any bug issues (or differences between the new GD&T versus XactMeasure) complicating matters further.https://www.pcdmisforum.com/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==https://www.pcdmisforum.com/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Looks good to me, As long as your SMA is up to date, any version will work. You might have to update your paths.

Capture.JPG
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

• Scott D. Haselden
      Scott D. Haselden commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have that HP-S-X1H_T in my drop-down menu.

• KIRBSTER269
      KIRBSTER269 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's weird, but should be same if I remember correctly, because if I'm not mistaking, I had to do the same. I believe Hex bought it and slapped their name on it. Kinda like the Brown & Sharpe machines, now its EPS? same thing

As far as the tool changer goes, can be tricky because, kinda cheesy design, 1 you might have to slow it down, 2 (if you have already calibrated the slots) you might have to adjust your X,Y, or Z

These are always in MM no matter if your program is in IN or MM

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 10-08-2020, 02:34 PM.
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

• Scott D. Haselden
      Editing a comment
      I will definitely try adjusting by this method and slow down the docking speed. Ill let you know how it works out!

• Scott D. Haselden
      Editing a comment
      KIRBSTER269, I slowed the docking speed way down to 3mm/sec, and dropped the Z height by a mm on all three port slots, and BAM! no more crashes! That worked out perfectly. I also went ahead and built up a master probe, using the data from the slot 1 probe to build with, and it calibrates out like it should. I am assuming that the Leitz probe and the Hexagon probe work identically, and are the same size, as the build seems to function in all angles, as it should.

Thanks for the advice on preventing the crashes. I still seem to be having issues with the controller not wanting to talk to the computer (which seems to be somewhat random in nature), and having to do machine restarts and homing, but that may be a hardware issue that I may have to put in a support ticket for.

Again, Thanks for the help!

• KIRBSTER269
      KIRBSTER269 commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to have helped on some of your problems

PRBHTY is a function about wrist.
    On old controllers, under hyperterminal, you can make the wrist turn with PRBHTY PH9, A value, B value... (yes, PH9 works whatever the wrist !)
    Ok, it doesn't help anymore on your problem, it's just an information...

Comment

Originally posted by JEFMAN View Post
      PRBHTY is a function about wrist.
      On old controllers, under hyperterminal, you can make the wrist turn with PRBHTY PH9, A value, B value... (yes, PH9 works whatever the wrist !)
      Ok, it doesn't help anymore on your problem, it's just an information...
      Does this mean that the computer is waiting on the controller to respond?

We have a two year old shop floor style CMM (with granite posts up the sides, and gearing instead of air ride motion) in the lab, running 2018 R1. I am assuming that it was purchased due to its presumed durability, and the fact that the CMM lab is not completely a controlled environment. But I have never seen this error message pop up with any other CMM before, so I'm curious if this is more because of a gap in the electronic and electrical control functions of the CMM, versus a software or application issue.

Comment

I get that message if our 2-3 year CMM probe head gets bumped. Message will not clear unless I do a complete shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsld1 View Post
          I get that message if our 2-3 year CMM probe head gets bumped. Message will not clear unless I do a complete shutdown.
          That is exactly what is happening to me. I have to shut down, and rehome the machine every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott D. Haselden View Post

Does this mean that the computer is waiting on the controller to respond?

We have a two year old shop floor style CMM (with granite posts up the sides, and gearing instead of air ride motion) in the lab, running 2018 R1. I am assuming that it was purchased due to its presumed durability, and the fact that the CMM lab is not completely a controlled environment. But I have never seen this error message pop up with any other CMM before, so I'm curious if this is more because of a gap in the electronic and electrical control functions of the CMM, versus a software or application issue.
            I would check all the wiring of the head, and clan all the contacts, mainly if it's a multi wire head (for sp25, lspx...), and not only a M8 diameter...

Hey all, have a nice week-end, it's friday !!!!!!!!!

Comment