PCDMIS R2 GD&T Measurement of true position of a slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCDMIS R2 GD&T Measurement of true position of a slot

I work with a lot of plastic parts that have multiple slots and I always use CAD data so I basically select the slot in the CAD data to measure. The slots are also called out for true position. Before R2 I would measure the slot then do the true position of the slot. This is no longer accepted in R2. So what is my work around now ? Does this mean I have to take Individual points in the slot then construct widths;
    Then use those widths for the true position or can I create widths from a slot measurement.

what do you mean, no longer accepted?
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• neil.challinor
      neil.challinor commented
      Editing a comment
      +1
      Please can you post a snip of the drawing and the code from your program?

I just so happen to be working on a part with slots in it. In this part, they are not true positioned but I am able to dimension them with true position (GeoTol) with out a problem.

Capture.JPG
    Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was lost on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

• neil.challinor
      neil.challinor commented
      Editing a comment
      Does the callout have the Ø symbol prior to the tolerance?

• Matthew D. Hoedeman
      Matthew D. Hoedeman commented
      Editing a comment
      me or him? me, yes. FoMoCo doesn't even recognized any kind of a slot except for their sizes, all diam-pos.

• INOAC
      INOAC commented
      Editing a comment
      Re you at the new 2020 R2 level?

I have several programs written the way I spoke in the above post. When you bring those programs into R2 with the new calculations methods. They all have errors. Most of the slots do not have the Spiracle symbol

Comment

So a little bit more information may be needed. Some of the slots measured become datum features. Lets say slot BB2 becomes datum feature (BB). Since it is a slot feature the R2 version is telling me it cant use it as a secondary Datum.

Comment

It probably will in 2020 R2 SP1. There might be a reference to as why slots currently aren't accepted in the help file. Most probably because slots often aren't measured as the standard dictates but only using the radiis at the slot ends, ignoring the "straights". In 2020 R2 SP1 it will (most probably) be accepted but it falls upon the operator/programmer to measure the slots "correctly" and not just use the radiis.

Just attended the "PC-DMIS Days" here in .se where this was mentioned.
        PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

• INOAC
          INOAC commented
          Editing a comment
          THANK YOU. Most of the slots I check are rectangles no radii. Is there a way to pull the width and length from a slot measurement and construct a width to use for the DF or do I have to measure the width and length of the slot in two separate steps?

Use the slot width for the feature and measure position only in one axis if it's not calling out the diametrical symbol.

Comment