Radius to plane intersection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radius to plane intersection

I am in need of some PC-DMIS dimensioning assistance. I have a part that I am measuring that has multiple machined steps in it. They are not square steps however. They are using a ball mill to machine the transition between the 2 steps as shown in the picture.

radius to plane.jpg

The customer's dimension is from the end of the part to the intersection of the radius (measured as a circle and a cylinder) and the plane. I have tried measuring the upper plane and radius but because it is only a partial radius I am unable to offset the measured radius to acquire the intersection. I also tried creating a constructed line using the plane and the cylinder but the line would not intersect the 2 features in the correct place. I have tried everything I know to do. Please help if possible.

Thanks in advance!!!

Do a line and a circle make sure they have the same value from the edge of the part. Use a drop point instead of intersect. If the intersect is not correct reverse your line and when constructing make sure you are selecting the line 1st. Also make sure that your workplanes are correct. I'd do more than 1 of the line to circle intersects , i'd likely report or measure it in 3 different places minimum. Also in this scenario I'd use points to construct the circle instead of auto circle
    Jesse Krook

Comment

• charliejoe
      charliejoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you explain this a little further? so the line is along the top plane in his pic, and the drop point will be essentially where the circle and that line meet? i appreciate the idea, just want to understand it so i can try implementing it

• YGOLORTEM
      YGOLORTEM commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I should have been a bit more descriptive. On the top plane a pierce point should work on the bottom if having troubles getting the 2 to intersect a drop point usually solves the problem

Awesome! Thank you YGOLORTEM. I will give that a try and report back when we load the next part.

Comment

https://www.pcdmisforum.com/forum/pc...d-pierce-point

POST #5
      (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
      They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

Thank you Kirbster269! That's a great visual. Appreciate all the help!

Comment

Another way :
          intersection.JPG
          Then create an offset point from circle center, using X and R-D, depending on the alignment.

Comment

New Math = JEFMAN

Old math = KIRBSTER269

https://search.aol.com/aol/video;_yl...0b&action=view

(In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
            They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

• Schrocknroll
              Schrocknroll commented
              Editing a comment
              Everyone knows robots prefer to do their own math instead of letting another computer do it for them.

Update: Thank you so much for the assistance! It works like a champ, however, some of the radii are so small that I cannot accurately measure them. It's basically a washout / blending situation because the tolerances are so wide open. I asked the engineer to change the print to a surface profile dimension so I can use a linear open scan. Problem solved. Thank you again! So glad this site is available.

Comment