How to do auto features without CAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to do auto features without CAD

Good morning, I’ve primarily done all my programming offline so this question might be weird but how do you do auto features without the model?
    Darroll
    2018R2

Few different ways. The help file is very informative on this subject. different methods for different features. Prolly better if you read it for yourself...
    Sheffield Endeavor3 9.20.8, Tesastar-SM, Leitz LSP-X1s & LSP-X1M, PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Comment

lots of typing, you type in the XYZIJK (and more for certain features) for each one.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Example looking down from Z+ ....

Set the origin on the print, say a corner. You need basics to the hole location from wherever you pick. In the Autofeatures dialogue window, put the X, Y, Z values in as the 'address' of your hole from origin you set on the print. Vectors 0,0,1. Enter the diameter size of your hole and the measurement strategy. Test the hole slowly in the dialogue window and adjust height, if necessary.

Before you do this, you need to have your alignment set to the corner you're measuring from so you see the same basics from the print.

You can't do this type of thing on curves.

Comment

• Matthew D. Hoedeman
          Matthew D. Hoedeman commented
          Editing a comment
          tell him it would be easier if he used Excel for all those calculations....

• DAN_M
          DAN_M commented
          Editing a comment
          His brain works faster then Excel, its scary to watch. Its like some Jefman level savant stuff

• Paperback Rocker
          Paperback Rocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I should have said "I can't do this type of thing on curves"!

Way way back in the day... I used to offline program our Sheffield CMM that ran FLB using Microsoft Word. Once you learned the syntax for Move, Plane, Line, Point and Circle, the rest was pretty easy. Really helped with my 3D visualization skills. Got to be pretty good at it after 6 months or so. Just had to do an initial alignment on the machine and then I was good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsld1 View Post
          Way way back in the day... I used to offline program our Sheffield CMM that ran FLB using Microsoft Word. Once you learned the syntax for Move, Plane, Line, Point and Circle, the rest was pretty easy. Really helped with my 3D visualization skills. Got to be pretty good at it after 6 months or so. Just had to do an initial alignment on the machine and then I was good to go.
          sounds like VALMEAS-200, all text, but that was before MS Word, or windows, or any of the other fun stuff.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post

sounds like VALMEAS-200, all text, but that was before MS Word, or windows, or any of the other fun stuff.
            FLB was all text based. It was HP BASIC with custom function calls. Your measurement routine was mainly written with the function calls. Loops and other fun stuff were done with HP Basic. I liked the complete control that I had. If I could dream it up, I could get the CMM to do it. Wrote a routine that drew graphics of a simplified outline of the part, then plotted where both ends of a stator were relative to the part shell. Setup guys loved how easy it was to tell how to adjust the equipment.

Comment

The blue print should be enough to program an autofeature (location / size).
              Using assignments can help sometimes (trig values), Excel and notepad also.

Programming CMMs was possible long time before ability of importing CAD ...

Comment