License: Node Locked vs. Floating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License: Node Locked vs. Floating

Looking for opinions and pros/cons of a floating license vs. the node locked licenses. We have five CMMs and one offline seat currently. Two of the CMM's have node locked licenses and the other three, and the offline seat, have a USB HASP. We are in the middle of replacing all the computers and have been having an issue transferring the node locked licenses which is being worked on already. The issue we have, as well as wanting to add another offline seat, made us interested in a floating license for seven seats. The main concern is if our network goes down, will the CMMs also be down? The other point of interest is that two of us somewhat regularly take the offline HASP home to do some work so how would that work with the floating license? I know we couldn't have more seats running than the license allows (we only have three CMM inspectors/programmers so no worries there) but how difficult would it be for us to set up our home computers to access the license?

I don't always think of everything and there may be some concerns that I am just not able to think of right now so any opinions on anything other than named above would be most welcome too.
    Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was lost on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

I prefer the hasp over ALL of it. Can't help you on the rest. Nothing beats a hasp for ease of use.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• A-machine-insp
      A-machine-insp commented
      Editing a comment
      Matthew D. Hoedeman I'm with you there!!!!

• Matthew D. Hoedeman
      Matthew D. Hoedeman commented
      Editing a comment
      I still have the "hasps" for the DOS versions of Pcdmis & Datapage (LPT1 port type locks). I don't use them, but I still have them.

I used to work at a place that had a floating off-line seat and it was an ordeal every time I was needing to work from home. IT would spend about three hours temporarily transferring the to a laptop and it would work fine when they tested it, but as soon as I got it home I would spend an hour or more on the phone to IT getting it working again. Overall I would rather have an USB hasp, but a Hexagon salesman told me that they were going away for them and soon all licenses would be either floating or node locked.
    DeWain Hodge

Comment