Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Measure How Much A Part Springs When Cut In Half

Hello All,

I have a conical part that has a straight ID cylinder cut along the cone vector. After machining, the part get saw'd into 2 halves. Engineering wants to see how much the part springs either open or close or cocked.

I usually measure the part still whole for the CMM inspection. I measure both ends of the cylinder as constructed circles to see how much they are tapered. Now we need to know how much the part springs or twists after being split.

I am thinking while the part is still whole, construct a circle from one end of the cylinder using both sides of the part and the same for the bottom and report circularity. Then I could construct a circle from one side of the part and report circularity, do the same for the other side of the part and then do the same for the other end of the cylinder?

Once the part is split, I can no longer inspect it whole so it would just be 1 side of the part. So align to the part, construct a circle on each end of the cylinder and report circularity? Would that be an accurate way to check for how much the part as sprung?
    Attached Files

If you know where the part is going to be cut, you could make a program that only checks half of the part and run that on each side when its whole and run it again on each half when its cut. It would be even better if you have features you can clock your alignment to as well, that way you can have it probe the same points in the same locations before and after the saw cut.

Comment