Where Is This Bonus Coming From?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Is This Bonus Coming From?

Good morning all. I was hoping someone could explain to me where this bonus tolerance on Datum "C" is coming from, and why it doesn't appear on every dimension. The size tolerance on the feature is called out in DIM_12_13. Which dimension is reporting correctly, 14_15 or 10_11? Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

https://i.imgur.com/AbHweU7.jpg

The “bonus” you see in the +TOL column is from the geometric tolerance on C with respect to A|B(M), and it serves to increase the MMB size of datum C. It’s not your typical “bonus tolerance” that can be added directly, instead it allows for datum feature shift/displacement.

As far as why it isn’t appearing in your 10_11 tolerance, I’m not sure without knowing more about the geometry that you’re working with. I would think that it should apply to both dimensions.

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
      KIRBSTER269 commented
      Editing a comment
      probably because that second callout is a slot and it doesn't do anything for it in the direction it 's calling it out. Width one direction, cylinders all directions

Find those dimensions in the Edit Window and set SHOWNOMS=YES. You will see the sizes/tolerances for the Datums in here. Alternatively, you can F9 the dimensions, Go to the Advanced tab and scroll down to the bottom of the list and you will see the datum sizes/tolerances there. It is VERY important to set these up correctly for each dimension or else you will be applying the bonus incorrectly.

Comment

get rid of all those points, or periods in your feature names. read post #2.1
      (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
      They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Jacob - I think I understand now. 10_11 is the width of a slot that is running perpendicular to B-C so I guess C wouldn't affect it.

Mike - First thing I checked were those dimensions and it is at 3.7500" +.0035" - .0000"

Kirbster - Not sure what you mean by post #2.1. The feature ID rules that we learned in PC-DMIS for CMM 101 state "Avoid using these miscellaneous characters: @ # $ % & * ( ) + = / \ [ ] { }". Has that changed?

https://i.imgur.com/Nkg9hlI.jpg
        Last edited by bradacc; 08-19-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• bradacc
          bradacc commented
          Editing a comment
          The period I put in was after the quotes to signify the end of a sentence.

• VinniUSMC
          VinniUSMC commented
          Editing a comment
          Periods are used to denote parameters. So, if you have a feature name with a period in it, and use it in a variable (or PC-DMIS just being PC-DMIS), then the period is telling PC-DMIS that what comes after the period refers to a named parameter, like HOLE1.TX is telling PC-DMIS that you want to use the Theoretical X value from a feature named "HOLE1".

• KIRBSTER269
          KIRBSTER269 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok so PC-DMIS and the folks at Hexagon failed you, welcome to the club. VinniUSMC laid it out for you. It would be best not to use them.

Told you at 11:51 this morning.

Untitled.jpg
        (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
        They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

• bradacc
          bradacc commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, I never noticed the comment numbers, so I must have skipped over it thinking it was a signature. Thanks, you were absolutely right