Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAN_M
    commented on 's reply
    Mathematically speaking, a cone requires 3 hits per level and a min of 2 levels.

In PCD, I always use AT LEAST 3 levels and AT LEAST 5 hits per level. Using less has given me less accurate answers then I would have wanted.

Construction order selection for points being made into a cone DOES matter for PCD. I don't understand the rules entirely. What I CAN tell you is that I commonly make 3 points along the X axis, will copy & paste them with pattern 7X 45°, and will click the points that get created all in order from top to bottom of the list to create the cone, and it works just fine.
    Last edited by DAN_M; 08-10-2020, 09:30 AM.

• albersjw
    replied
    It is actually 2 hits at 3 levels, which may in lie the problem now that I think about it. I will try to add the additional points and see what that does when I get back to the CMM. Thank you for the feedback.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Ruff
    replied
    If I understand you correctly, you are taking a 3 hits at 2 levels for a total of 6 hits. Is this correct?

1. Have you tried adding more points?

2. Have you tried constructing a circle from your first 3 hits and constructing another circle from the last 3 hits and then constructing a cone from those 2 constructed circles? Cylinders and cones seem to construct better from circles than they do from points in my experience

Leave a comment:

• albersjw
    replied
    I tried that as well unfortunately. I took the points as I had read them(not taken) and tried that reading clockwise, then up, counterclockwise then up, and then clockwise. The result was still the same. I appreciate the thought though.

Leave a comment:

• jimmcw
    replied
    I wonder if you changed the selection order for of the points if that would make a difference?

Leave a comment:

• albersjw
    started a topic Cone construction vector question

Cone construction vector question

So I'm trying to construct a cone and the vectors aren't working correctly.

So to start I made my first cone and copied the three points I needed at the side and take them individually, copying the vectors and locations.
    Then I take my second cone and copy the points.

Then comes my problem.

The six points to construct a cone are perpendicular to my actual cone.

I have tried in construct a cone to no avail. I have tried all vectors but it keeps trying to place my circle as a 3 diameter(about the height of my points) instead of 268 diameter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.