X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibration window: Global used crash

Hey everyone!
    back from vacation

So I have a problem with the "Global Used"-function in the calibration/tip window.
    I wanna remove tips thats not used anymore, so i thought the global used function would work well.
    But everytime I press it, it loads for a while, then PC-DMIS crashes (pc-dmis stopped responding).

Is it because of the computer is slow? We're also running pc dmis 2011.
    How does the global used function work, does it search throu ur pcdmis installation folder for measuring routines or whole computer?
    Because we have folder structure with old programs, programs in progress & finished programs. We also have copies of these on our server.

Can I choose global used for a specific folder (i.e. just the folder with finished programs)?

ty all
    Last edited by pcdmisstudent; 08-05-2020, 03:32 AM.

From the PC-Dmis help

The Global Used button searches for tips used in other measurement routines by the currently-active probe file. It then adds them to the Active tip list and marks them for calibration.

By default, this button searches through any measurement routine subdirectories. You can control whether or not this button searches these subdirectories by using the Include subdirectories in global used search check box in the Probe Setup dialog box.
    This is the link to the help page https://docs.hexagonmi.com/pcdmis/20...lobal_Used.htm

I would try turning off the include subdirectories option. Then you should be able to target one folder at a time after setting that folder as your measurement routine directory under EDIT>SET SEARCH PATH.
    Neil Challinor
    PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
    E: [email protected]

Comment

• pcdmisstudent
      pcdmisstudent commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, at the "set search path" the options are very different from language to language.
      Right now its search path is "search for "probe directory" and the box "search specified directory" is boxed, and the folder chosen is a folder with (as i said in previous post a folder with a bunch of prb files and results)

So do i edit > set search path > search for "Probe Directory" > check the "search specified directory" and then choose the folder with all my measurement routines?

• neil.challinor
      neil.challinor commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to leave the probe search path as it is or PC-Dmis will not be able to "see" your probes files. It's the search path for the measurement routines (newer versions) or program files (older versions) that you need to set.

• pcdmisstudent
      pcdmisstudent commented
      Editing a comment
      ugh, i need more coffe.
      my end goal is just to remove all angles, and then use global used to add all the tips/angles that are used in finnished programs:
      ill upload a picture, because im noob.

This is how it is right now (and crashes when i used global used).
      search for: probe directory
      I change the "search specified directory" to the folder with all my measurement routines, and all my tips got removed and nothing happens when i press "global used"

Here is the pic how it is right now (the folder at c/users/ is the one with a bunch of probes
    Attached Files

Comment

Going off work now. Im gonna keep following this thread when iget home (if you dont get tierd of my questions
      also gonna try to find something in the help file

Comment

There are several search paths. The two that you are interested in for this case are the "Probe Directory" and the "Default Part Program Directory". Your Probe Directory needs to point to the folder that contains your probe files. It is the Default Part Program Directory that you will need to change so that you can look through one folder at a time.

Open a PC-Dmis program and go into the probe utilities (CTRL+ALT+P). Click SETUP and un-check the "Include Subdirectories In Global Used Search" option. With this un-checked, when you click on global used, it will only look at programs contained in the Default Part Program Directory when searching for tips that relate to the currently loaded probe file. If you have multiple program locations you would have to change your Default Part Program Directory to search through each one in turn. If you only have one location for all of your finished programs and it is only these that you want to retain tips for, then just set your Default Part Program Directory to that location and it should give you what you need - just bear in mind that since you have turned off "Include Subdirectories In Global Used Search", all of the programs would need to be in that one folder as it will not look in any sub folders.
        Neil Challinor
        PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
        E: [email protected]

Comment

• neil.challinor
          neil.challinor commented
          Editing a comment
          Go to EDIT>set search path> default part program directory and select your "complete program folder" then hit apply. If there is a "Search specified directory" option then that is the only one you want checked. By choosing "search current directory", PC-Dmis will remember the last folder location you browsed to when opening or saving a program so it's a dynamic link. "Search specified directory" makes it a fixed link to the folder location and will always look in that location. Also, I can't remember if I've already asked you this, are the programs stored locally on the PC or is it a network location? If they're on a network, I would try copying them locally, setting the default part program search path to the location you copied them to and then try global used.

• pcdmisstudent
          pcdmisstudent commented
          Editing a comment
          Followed your instructions: Still PC-DMIS crashes when i press "Global used"..
          Also they are stored on the PC:

I also sent mail to hexagon support to see if they can help with teamviewer

• pcdmisstudent
          pcdmisstudent commented
          Editing a comment
          problem "solved"
          contacted hexagon: They said its a bug fixed in later versions

I did this a few years ago and went from an 8 hr standard calibration to under 4. If you have a TON of programs, I would go at it little differently .... small pieces at a time. Of course I had to go into most of them indivdually and change alot of angles so I was using some established " standard angles " we decided on. I did this and a few weeks later I went thru 100% of them again and added marked sets to all of them when we switched to operator mode. It took me about 6 weeks....

Comment

• Mike Ruff
          Mike Ruff commented
          Editing a comment
          +1

I highly recommend using "standardized" angles. I use negative A angles almost exclusively as opposed to positive A angles for this exact reason. The angles I need are usually calibrated and if they're not, it takes less time to calibrate since there are less of them. Our mills on the floor have standardized tool libraries as well to help cut down on their tooling costs.

This is a detract from the answers given, i have become cautious of pressing the 'global' button due to past episodes where it was accidentally pressed and caused a crash (for the most part...). This prolly due to the computers we had compared to the ones now =)
        Brown & Sharpe / PC-DMIS 3.7
        Eph 2:8-9 / 1 Thes 5:21 - Who or What are you living for?

Comment

OMG global used is a dangerous command. It scans EVERY program for that probe and pulls every angle in to calibrate. I made that mistake 1 time, never again.

Comment

To simplify this I created a Folder to store copies of all the .PRG files that use the probe rack. When I add a new routine that will use the probe rack, I will place a copy of that routine in that folder. Then use Global Used to add any new angles. I had to simplify this when creating parameters sets for star probe calibration using up to five Qualification Tools.

Comment