Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orientation of a hole on a conical surface

Screenshot_20200804-042135_Samsung Notes.jpg

I am inspecting a part that looks something like this. Please excuse the scrappy drawing.

I did a rough alignment to other features on the part (not shown here but I can assure you its a "stable" alignment to synchronize the part and model) and then I measured a lot of vector points on datum A. reported the profile and it was good. I then moved onto measuring datums B and C.

This is how I defined my datums:
    I made a feature set from the vector points taken on datum A, a cylinder from datum feature B and a width from datum feature C.

The print actually specifies perpendicularity of B with respect to A (which is wrong in my opinion because datum A surface is nominally conical and datum feature B is not nominally perpendicular to datum feature A). So I went ahead and dimensioned datum B using position. Here's my issue, when I dimension datum B with respect to Datum A (the feature set) I get it ~.070 off and that's unbelievable but when I measure datum C with respect to A primary (the feature set) and B secondary (the cylinder) I only get a few tenths of an inch off nominal and its in tolerance.

How can I ensure the axis of datum B is not grossly off with respect to datum feature A? I thought creating a feature set from the vector points on Datum A would work but that only worked for C, atleast I think it did.. PCDMIS reported C with respect to AB as conforming.

I tried an alternative inspection method where I made a plane from 3 arbitrary points on the datum A surface (I chose points that were spaced out the furthest) and mentioned it to engineering that they may consider using target points to establish datum plane A. So I did that, and it worked.. atleast I think it did because PCDMIS reported B and C conforming in that manner. By using 3 target points to construct a plane, I am assuming that PCDMIS is comparing the theoretical vector of the plane constructed from the 3 target points to evaluate the vector of datum B with respect to datum A, right? I am trying my best to think of the most functional outcome.

Back to my sketch though... does anyone have any input?
    -Why are the results of B with respect to A (feature set) wonky?
    -Why are the results of C with respect to A (feature set), B (cylinder) NOT wonky?
    -Would you also recommend datum targets on datum feature A instead? (This seems functionally reasonable per ASME Y14.5 2009)

Much appreciated. Thank you thank you thank you!
    Attached Files

Have you tried to use an iterative alignment or best fit?
    Jesse Krook

Comment

YGOLORTEM thanks for the response, I tried a 3D (least squares) best fit to ABC and the position of B was ~.004" off which would be non conforming but isnt that reporting the location of B with respect to the best fit? How does this tell me how far off B is to datum A? I guess if location is off that much then the vector of B is probably not where it should be? Hmmm... What do you think? (Thanks for making me think deeper on this).

I guess the fact that I am looking at an orientation control of B with respect to A is what threw me off a bit when I looked at the non conforming result (.004") with respect to the best fit. How do I report to engineering the orientation of B with respect to A?
      Last edited by Gus101; 08-04-2020, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Are the axis of 2 features, Datum -A- (cone) and Datum -B- (cylinder) parallel to one another?

Is there a location dimension from center line of -A- to -B-?
        Last edited by YGOLORTEM; 08-04-2020, 12:05 PM.
        Jesse Krook

Comment

The axes of Datum a and b are definitely not parallel nor are they perpendicular. Think of this as a hole on an ice cream cone. The hole was drilled normal to the surface. Datum A is nominally conical and its just part of a small segment of a cone. This is a bracket where datum A interfaces with a conical counterpart, datum B and C is where it gets bolted from. Attached is my best attempt of a cross section. YGOLORTEM
          Last edited by Gus101; 08-04-2020, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Screenshot_20200804-113917_Samsung Notes.jpg

Comment

So there is no basic angle from -A- axis to -B- axis on the drawing? (or from -A- surface?)
              Jesse Krook

Comment

• Gus101
                Gus101 commented
                Editing a comment
                It's one of those drawings "all dimension not shown are considered basic per the CAD model". No basic dimensions specified on the drawing and I don't know exactly what it is if I try constructing it on PCDMIS.

Just a random question regarding the conical part...is the surface all flat as well or does it also curve? The last image looks like its flat?
              Random question for learning purposes: The call out of datum B needing to be positioned at .001 in reference to Datum A? Is this just another way to ask for perpendicularity or how do you position a hole within .001 of a feature that is on the actual surface?
              thank you
              Brown & Sharpe / PC-DMIS 3.7
              Eph 2:8-9 / 1 Thes 5:21 - Who or What are you living for?

Comment

• Gus101
                Gus101 commented
                Editing a comment
                The surface curves. Its essentially a hole on an ice cream cone. The hole is normal to the surface. The image above is just my best attempt at a sketch. Yes, positioning B in relation to A is another way of controlling the orientation of datum B. (In this case...)

Originally posted by Brandnew View Post
              Just a random question regarding the conical part...is the surface all flat as well or does it also curve? The last image looks like its flat?
              Random question for learning purposes: The call out of datum B needing to be positioned at .001 in reference to Datum A? Is this just another way to ask for perpendicularity or how do you position a hole within .001 of a feature that is on the actual surface?
              thank you
              -B- looks perp to me as well but -B- could be at an angle to. I know the OP can't post the drawing but I feel like we are missing some valuable information here.
              Jesse Krook

Comment

• Gus101
                Gus101 commented
                Editing a comment
                B is not nominally perpendicular to A. I hope the image below clarifies things a little better. I cannot zoom in any further.. lol

YGOLORTEM this is my best attempt at the basic angle from A to B axes. (48.4525°)
              Attached Files

Comment