Fixture without tooling balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixture without tooling balls

For one of takeover jobs from another company we received fixture which does not have tooling balls, just holes in the plate. Based on the plastic covers for those holes it looks like it should be this way. Are the tooling balls missing? If not, how do you align to 3 holes (cylinders)?
    IMG_0936.JPGIMG_0938.JPG
    Attached Files

Looks correct to me, the values on the base are for a CIRCLE with 3 sample hits. Works the same as 3 tooling balls.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
      Looks correct to me, the values on the base are for a CIRCLE with 3 sample hits. Works the same as 3 tooling balls.
      Does it matter at what depth you measure them? Do all 3 have to be measured at the same depth?

Comment

• neil.challinor
        neil.challinor commented
        Editing a comment
        No, as long as you take 3 sample hits on the top surface surrounding the holes, the depth does not matter - the circle will be projected into the the plane made by the sample hits. You just need to make sure you set the depth deep enough to avoid any chamfer / damage at the top of the holes. Also, you must make sure the X, Y & Z nominals for your holes must match the values printed on the fixture.

Thank you.

Comment