dim distance between a cyl and the edge of a taper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dim distance between a cyl and the edge of a taper

I have a cylinder with a 5" inside dia 3.900" long and a .350 deep taper on the top id. im trying to figure out how to measure the distance from the smaller center cyl edge projected to the top plane to the widest edge of the taper at the top of the part. ive tried making a line in the cyl then a line on the taper and projecting points to the plane but its not coming out right. any help would be appreciated. thanks
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-30-2020, 03:34 PM.

Have you thought about constructing a circle at the intersection point and then dimension the circle.
    It will stick if you throw it hard enough.

Comment

Probe the cylinder as a cylinder. Probe the taper as a cone. Construct a circle at the intersection of the cylinder and cone. Dimension distance from circle to top plane.
      Unless of course I misunderstood the question, which is entirely possible.
      Sheffield Endeavor3 9.20.8, Tesastar-SM, Leitz LSP-X1s & LSP-X1M, PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Comment

yeah im sorry im not explaining it properly.ok I have a cyl standing on end with a 5.300 bore. 4" tall. at the top of the bore there is a lead in taper that is .350 deep into the bore. im trying to dimension the distance from the top edge of the taper to the theoretical point if the cyl was projected up to the top plane. its supposed to be .030. so what ive done is create 2 lines and made a point at the intersection at the .350 deep intersection and then another at the top plane and the taper. I pierced the plane with the cyl line and a intersecting point with the other line at the top plane. I have a new question after figuring it out. why is it when I make an auto line the dimension don't come out right but if I use vector points and create a line it works? sorry if im still explaining wrong. thank you

Comment

Measure a cylinder, measure a cone, measure a plane on the top. Construct 2 circles, cone-to-plane and cylinder-to-plane. distance between 2 circle is how far off center the taper is to the cylinder. Construct TWO lines from center of circle(a) to center of circle(b) and one going the other way circle(b) to circle(a). Construct a point where each line crosses each circle, circle(a) line(a), circle(b) line(a), then circle(a) line(b), circle(b) line(b). The distance between each pair of points will give you the MIN and MAX of the nominal 0.030 you are looking for.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Oh, you may have to give the 2 constructed circles 'bogus' nominal values. If their nominal values are the same, Pcdmis will not let you construct the lines as it bases the lines nominals on the circles nominals. These nominals don't matter as you are not using them for anything.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment