Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model Swap

Good afternoon,

We are measuring a part that mounts to an assembly fixture. In this particular instance, we are actually using one of the mounting tubes as the primary datum. My manager wants to model the parts of the mounting fixture that we use in the program into the part model. My question is, can we swap models in a program? And if so, how? Or should we just make a new program?

Thanks.

Yes.

For a basic level user, best way to go:
    Get your engineer to make you a copy of the model already on the fixture. Then, import this new assembly model into PCD. A question will pop up asking you if you want to keep your old model and treat ALL of this stuff as an assembly.. OR.. delete the original model and JUST work off of the import. For you, click NO to delete the old one.

Now that your new assembly model is on the screen, you might need to translate and/or rotate it to get to to be correct on your screen. Since you're working with an assembly, you'll have to do this through the CAD Assembly Window and NOT the regular Transform Window.

If you're confused by this/need more detailed instruction, we (forum members) can help. If you have a valid SMA, I'm sure HEX would remote in and show you what to do if you submitted a ticket.
    Last edited by DAN_M; 07-28-2020, 02:28 PM.
    SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

Just import the new models into the program and transform to the position they need to be in. The puzzle piece will let you transform the pieces from the original model.
      Last edited by ogcharliebrown; 07-30-2020, 02:57 PM.
      It will stick if you throw it hard enough.

Comment

If you have a part that sits on a fixture. Create an assembly from those components. If you are taking " hits "on the fixture" and those just "show up " out in space. When you import the assembly, they will show up on the features you are currently using. I am not going to talk you thru this in DMIS and have to leave that for others. I use CAD software for all of this and import an IGES. If I replace a CAD, I just make sure when I import the IGES, my coordinate system is in exactly the same place as the previous CAD. Then there are no changes needed and 100% of all the features will line up correctly with no changes needed.

Comment