Is it possible to flip/mirror programme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to flip/mirror programme?

I apologize in advance if this has been covered but I cannot find any info on this.

I am writing programmes for some aircraft wing components (packers) and there are a fair few that need programming in a short space of time.

The components are 'left hand' and 'right hand' so they are exact mirror images of one another and we have the models of both hands.

Is there an easy way to mirror a programme to save me writing two for each component?

Thank you

FILE>OPERATIONS>MIROR https://docs.hexagonmi.com/pcdmis/20...ror&rhsyns=%20

That is an external operation (i.e. you don't open the program up first, you just select the mirror option from the start screen instead of doing a FILE>OPEN). It mirrors an entire program. You can also mirror sections of a program internally (i.e once you have the program loaded into PC-Dmis) using the paste with pattern command. https://docs.hexagonmi.com/pcdmis/20...ern&rhsyns=%20
    Neil Challinor
    PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
    E: [email protected]

Comment

Thank you. Does this flip the CAD also? If not, i take it I just replace the CAD and tie all initial alignments points up?

Comment

• neil.challinor
        neil.challinor commented
        Editing a comment
        With the FILE>OPERATION>MIRROR option you can choose whether to mirror the CAD or not and , yes, you can always just replace the CAD model afterwards if you prefer. The Paste with pattern option only acts on the code in the edit window.

How do you replace a CAD? I haven't had to do this yet. I have had instances where i wanted to but wasn't sure how, so I just worked around it. Do you just import a new CAD and it replaces the old one?

Thanks.

Comment

• neil.challinor
        neil.challinor commented
        Editing a comment
        Open the program and then import the new model. You will get a prompt asking if you want to replace the existing CAD or merge with the new one. You can use the merge option to build up assemblies. The only thing you need to look out for when replacing existing CAD with a new one is that both versions of the CAD have their axes orientated the same and have their origin in the same place. To check this, I usually start a second, new program and import my new CAD model into it. That way I can simply toggle between the two open programs and compare the two models. Once I'm satisfied everything is OK, I close the second program and import the new CAD into my existing program. Once the new model is imported, you can got to OPERATION>FEATURES>UPDATE NOMINALS FROM CAD.
        Last edited by neil.challinor; 07-27-2020, 08:08 AM.

neil.challinor I often use the OPERATION>GRAPHICDISPLAY>TRANSFORM to change my origin. Would this cause an issue?

Comment

• ThePudds
        ThePudds commented
        Editing a comment
        Schlag it doesnt bother me to much doing it myself. Only takes up about 2 minutes of my 8 hour long day. The longest/most irritating part is figuring out how to fixture the part on my CMM. We do all our own fixturing with standoffs. Very seldom do we actually have a fixture to measure the part in supplied by someone. That's the most time consuming part of my days.

• Schlag
        Schlag commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats the kind of stuff CAD works best for. Don't you program the part with the fixturing in place ? Of do you come up with a setup after ? TONS of editing involved with that method.

• ThePudds
        ThePudds commented
        Editing a comment
        I put the CAD into PC-DMIS and then set my origin from there (how its going to sit on the CMM), Then I figure out my fixturing, then i program around my standoffs from their. Some of the parts we do are very irregular in shape. So it's a little complicated sometimes coming up with a way to fixture it. Schlag

Originally posted by ThePudds View Post
      neil.challinor I often use the OPERATION>GRAPHICDISPLAY>TRANSFORM to change my origin. Would this cause an issue?
      Yes, if the new CAD has a different orientation or origin than the original, it will cause problems. You would need to apply the same transformation to your new model. You may be able to copy the translation matrix from the CAD Assembly window if you can't remember what steps you originally took.

CAD_Transform.png
      Neil Challinor
      PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
      E: [email protected]

Comment

• ThePudds
        ThePudds commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you much. This is good information to know just in case.

I have 100's of programs that are opposites of each other. If the original part (prime) is still in aircaft coordinates; then mirror the program in y axis, especially wing components. They will stay in aircaft coordinates just the Y axis coordiantes will change. (from positive to negative). I don't transform (or move) the detail parts.

Comment

My 2¢ is that after mirroring, watch the vector of the probe(s)......

Comment

• bchoi91
          bchoi91 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've mirrored a program along X axis and the probe flipped from being in +A angle to -A angle. Is there a way to set it back to +A angle?

The probe angle itself is at +A but it shows it as -A when probe graphic is toggled on
          Last edited by bchoi91; 01-14-2021, 03:37 PM.

• sealevel
          sealevel commented
          Editing a comment
          If you made the correction in edit window, you should be good to go. I've seen the first time in your gfx window is asleep at the wheel. Try it again S-L-O-W

Originally posted by sealevel View Post
        my 2¢ is that after mirroring, watch the vector of the probe(s)......
        ^^ this ^^
        Sheffield Endeavor3 9.20.8, Tesastar-SM, Leitz LSP-X1s & LSP-X1M, PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Comment

Originally posted by sealevel View Post
          My 2¢ is that after mirroring, watch the vector of the probe(s)......
          Yes. usually I will try to animate the path & try to find any collision before running the program on the part. Theoretically its should be okay, but better to double check.

Comment