Reporting profile of a radius is not working after size change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting profile of a radius is not working after size change

Hello. We have a part that used to have two 0.218" +/-0.005" radii, but our customer changed the size of the radii to 0.210" +/-0.005". We want to report profile of the radii and analysis, so we can see if tooling is not cutting well. I changed the theoretical size of the auto feature circles to 0.420" (double the radius), and then I make constructed feature sets for those circles. I reported profile (form and location) 0" +/-0.005", radius size 0.210" +/-0.005", and analysis of the constructed feature sets. We make this part in a mill, so we changed the mill to cut 0.210" radii, and I checked the part. I get a profile measurement of 0.0062" and a radius size measurement of 0.2129". I have a Solidworks CAD model in this program, but is there any way I can change something in PC-DMIS to get the profile to show correctly? Or do I need to edit the Solidworks model?

We need a bit more info to give you a good answer to your question. Did the center point change location and the only change is the radius size? Or did the size change AND the centerpoint location change? How are you measuring the radius? AutoCircle? Measured Circle? Autopoints and constructed circle? If you programmed off of a model doesn't exactly match the print, then you will definitely have to change the model out for the correct one.

Comment

• Darrin@AI
      [email protected] commented
      Editing a comment
      The center point did NOT change. The only change is the radius SIZE. First I measured the radii with AutoCircles, and then I made Constructed Feature Sets from the AutoCircles to display the analysis. So if I have a model in the program, I have to change the model to fix my profile problem?

• Mike Ruff
      Mike Ruff commented
      Editing a comment
      If the centerpoint is in the exact same location and only the radius changed, then changing the radius size will be sufficient. You might need to update the nominals of the Constructed Feature Set and associated dimensions, though. Every time you update a feature, you need to update everything that is dependent on that feature as well.

You don't NEED to import the new model as long as ALL of your nominals are CORRECT PER PRINT. However, if it were me, I would definitely update the model so the print and model match. I would never recommend having a print and model that don't match; but if that's the route you need to go for whatever reason, I would recommend putting in some $$ comments to describe why you aren't programmed to the model.

• Darrin@AI
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Mike. I will update the Constructed feature sets, too, and I will ask someone here to update the model.

Make sure you don't have the nominals mode set to "FIND NOMS" in the auto-features. You need to set it to NOMINALS in this case, otherwise it will look at the CAD model rather than the typed in values.
    Neil Challinor
    PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
    E: [email protected]

Comment

• Darrin@AI
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Neil, but I lucked-out. The auto features were and are set to "Nominals."

[email protected] , this is a bit of a long shot but check your warnings (under F5) - specifically the one for update nominals of associated dimensions. When you edited the radius of your auto-circles, PC-Dmis should have asked if you also wanted to update the nominals of the associated dimensions. If you selected NO then the feature would have the new size but the dimension would still be using the old nominal. Similarly, if someone had previously answered NO to that prompt and ticked "don't ask me again", the nominal in the dimension would not update.
    Neil Challinor
    PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
    E: [email protected]

Comment

How do I restore the warnings, someone cleared the list and now it is grayed out, I want to add the warnings back.

Comment

F5. Warnings. Then uncheck the box
        153010 Global Advantage w/ LSPX1H_T Analog Probe
        7107 Global Classic TP20
        2019R1 SP1 CAD++

Comment