Constructed Cone HELP. (CAD File Attached)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructed Cone HELP. (CAD File Attached)

The attached part has a conical profile that I need to construct a cone from. I will use this cone axis to align my Y axis to for my machine alignment then will measure with more points to report the form of said cone. I measured vector points for the machine alignemnt and constructed a cone which constructed in the correct direction, but with incorrect dimensions both from the CAD model and the measured. I know the model is correct as I created it. The cone should have a 15° included angle (7.5° per side.) Nonetheless I used that to align my axis and began a measurement routine. Measuring the vector points for the cone and constructing the second time either fails, or creates a cone with an axis in the Z when is should be in the Y.

I would appreciate any help from someone who has knowledge of constructed cones.

DCC Gage running PC-DMIS 3.5 MR2
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jshields; 05-07-2007, 11:29 AM.

How many points? you need at least 9 (3 levels of 3) to get a good vector. Also, the workplane you are in is important. With a "Y" vector, you need to be in the "Y" workplane.
    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

The order you pick the points that construct the cone is important. How many rows of points are you using? Try at least 3 and pick level 1 going CW, level 2 going CCW, then level 3 going CW. I don't use cad, and have to calculate my vectors. You may want to double check your vectors, as I understand it they are not always picked up correctly from the cad model.
      When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
      sigpic

Comment

If I needed to align to a cone axis, I might be inclined to measure three circles and create a 3D line through them and use that as my axis...
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I had tried changing my workplane to Y-Minus and even Y-Plus with the same results. I am measuring 6 points for the alignment measurment and 16 points for the final measurement. I will try to get 9 for the alignment, but when I hade more than 6 before it would fail. I think maybe I am not getting them all in the same row closely enough. As you can see from the picture I only have about .375 aound the rim to measure on. My last gig was on a 2.5meter x 7meter dual arm Vento measuring truck frames, these small parts are giving me a headache.
          Attached Files

Comment

Do you guys think I should change my workplane BEFORE measuring the vector points that I am using to construct the cone, or just before the construction of the cone?

Comment

Originally posted by jshields View Post
              Do you guys think I should change my workplane BEFORE measuring the vector points that I am using to construct the cone, or just before the construction of the cone?
              Vector points are plane-independant. There is no workplane for a vector point. HOWEVER, I would also do it as 3 circles as was suggested, then do a 3-D line through the centers of the circles. As for the DCC cone, I would NOT use an AUTO-FEATURE cone but a learned DCC cone, 3 levels, 4, 5, 4 hits per level.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I'll try it both ways on the alignment and see which works best. As far as the measurement, I only have cad here and not cad++ so I do not have many auto features, only point, circle, and cylinder so I will be doing it by construction. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by jshields View Post
                  I'll try it both ways on the alignment and see which works best. As far as the measurement, I only have cad here and not cad++ so I do not have many auto features, only point, circle, and cylinder so I will be doing it by construction. Thanks for the help!
                  If you can construct a cone, can you not also measure one (NOT using auto-features)? If you can measure a cone in manual mode as a cone, you can measure one in DCC mode and it becomes what most call a 'learned' feature, ie, a DCC feature VERY simular to an auto-feature. This is the best way to measure a cone from what few I have had to do and from what I have read on the various boards.
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by AndersI
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I can measure a cone. The only reservation I have doing that is that the nominals wil be set by the feature which I will then have to change. I rarely ever do that type of measurement except in manual as I trust the math more.

Comment

Problem solved! Thanks guys, I rearranged my points to where they were all parallel to the X axis and that worked much better. I also used "find" for the Z component of the vector points, then "find vector" to reset the vector for each point. Worked like a champ!

Comment