Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CMM

Good Question for you folks
    If your boss gave you 150 grand in the budget for a new CMM what kind would you get?
    I am thinking a Global Advantage?

I couldn't really tell you because I've been running the exact same machines for the past ten years. We did acquire another machine (Merlin) from a plant of ours that closed down and then upgraded it to run PC-DMIS. I have ran an Advantage at a few of the training classes and compared to ours they appear to be very nice machines. Smooth, quiet and very accurate.
    sigpic
    Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
    PCDMIS 2012
    Windows Office XP

Comment

What kind of parts will you be running? What kind of parts to you expect to be running 5 years from now? What is the largest part you expect to measure?

Have your boss come up with a bunch of sample parts from each category. Then go to the vendors and have them quote. They will come up with all kinds of details.

Then go back to them and INSIST that they quote you their machine PLUS PC-DMIS. LK, Zeiss, even Mitutoyo will ship you an I++ machine that is easy to upgrade to PC-DMIS. Keeps the software the same....

Jan.
      PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
      Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan d. View Post
        What kind of parts will you be running? What kind of parts to you expect to be running 5 years from now? What is the largest part you expect to measure? Jan.
        Anytime you buy a new machine always look to the future for size and capability (touch vs. scan) and any thing else you can think of where the company is going to be in the next 5 or 10 years.
        Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
        Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg43 View Post
          If your boss gave you 150 grand in the budget for a new CMM what kind would you get?
          I'm thinking go to columbia buy coke, triple your money, give your boss back the 150 grand & quit.......sorry my only advice.
          sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg43 View Post
            we just got an advantage with a sp25 for a little bit more than that price.

Comment

Look at the laser scanners
              Recently jumped from 3.5 Mr 2 CAD
              to 2012 CAD++

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
                I'm thinking go to columbia buy coke, triple your money, give your boss back the 150 grand & quit.......sorry my only advice.

Hmmm .......

TK
                sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer View Post
                  Look at the laser scanners
                  I am convinced that laser scanners are nice for some parts but don't work with all parts. A lot of the parts we have here (paint sprayers) have deep bores and small passages. A laser scanner just can't measure those and a touch probe CMM can.

Comment

What's a budget????
                    sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment