Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting out features as POINTS to iges file script .exe

Hey guys,

So i'm hoping someone can help me with this little problem. At my last shop we had a software guy write us a .exe to run that would take all the features and post them out as points in an iges file. I would have to take 3 variables, the first feature, the last feature and the csy to post them too. It would then convert all auto features, scans, whatever was in from the first - ending feature. and convert them all to points, then write out the iges file. This was EXTREMLY helpful so if engineering wanted to ever challenge data the way pc-dmis was dimensioning it anyone could lay that point cloud on top of the NX model and do their own gaging. When you use the pc-dmis manually for this it doesn't lay all features out as points. So its harder to show someone what's going on. Especially for dovetail interrogation. And I have a lot of scans & auto features because im lazy.

ASSIGN/START_FEATURE="pln_datum_a"
    ASSIGN/END_FEATURE="scn_hub_116"
    ASSIGN/EXPORT_ALIGNMENT="iges_dumb_csy"
    $$ NO,
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im pretty sure I ran the script command but it was an .exe not a .bas file.

I tried looking through the forums to find something similar that I could tweek but im looking for it to be automated like that because of the volume of parts we run. That way I can give it the same variable where I post our everything else and it will keep my results folder looking clean and pretty.

PLEASE HELP!!!

-Riley Lawlor
    -riley Lawlor
    Southern California
    Aerospace CNC Machinery

If you have the pointcloud options on your license you can do this with standard PC-Dmis commands. At the end of your program insert a pointcloud feature with all of your features as the input. Then insert a cop export (found under pointcloud operators). You can select the alignment you want everything output in, the format (PSL, XYZ or IGES) and a file name and location.

Code:
    COP1 =COP/DATA,TOTAL SIZE=99,REDUCED SIZE=99,
    FINDNOMS=NO,REF=CYL9,CYL8,CYL7,CYL6,CYL5,CYL4,CYL3 ,CYL2,CYL1,PLN2,PLN1,,
    COPEXPORT1 =COP/OPER,EXPORT,FORMAT=IGES,FILENAME=C:\USERS\PUBLIC\D OCUMENTS\MY_IGES_EXPORT.IGS,
    SIZE=99,REF=COP1,,
    Each time you run the program it will automatically export to IGES. You can replace the file name with a variable if you need to create a new file each time rather than overwriting.

Comment

• rtlawlor
      rtlawlor commented
      Editing a comment
      I just tried this on a small part. worked great! I did everything offline, im hoping it will export the points with the measured values and not the nom values. But ill find out Monday! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Check out "to points" in the code section, point conversion is its thing. I am sure you can tweak it to export to IGES.
    PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP9

Comment

i have used to points before but I don't want to actually convert my scans to points in the program, just want all scans to come out as points in the iges File
      -riley Lawlor
      Southern California
      Aerospace CNC Machinery

Comment

• neil.challinor
        neil.challinor commented
        Editing a comment
        When you select FILE>EXPORT>IGES through the menu, one of the dialogs that pops up has a settings option on it. This allows you to configure how the features will be exported - scans as points, scans as points with vectors, scans as curves etc. Once you have chosen your format you can make your selection default. There is no automatic IGES export command within PC-Dmis (apart from the pointcloud export I've already mentioned). It is possible to launch the IGES export via a script but that would still result in the dialog popping up and therefor, require an operator to select a file path, make the various selections required (alignment, features to export , etc) click PROCESS and then OK. It may be possible to get the script to make these selections but I've never done that sort of thing via a script before and I imagine it would be far from simple.

• rtlawlor
        rtlawlor commented
        Editing a comment
        I had an .exe script that we ran before that would automatically pull all the features I defined through my variables and write the iges file. no operator input required.

I will have to play around with that point cloud option. I just want it to all work automatically with all the other data I export because when the program completes blade runner closes pc-dmis.
      -riley Lawlor
      Southern California
      Aerospace CNC Machinery

Comment