Pcdmis On A Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pcdmis On A Network

Is it efficient to run PCDMIS residing on the local hard drive and the program files residing on a remote drive? I am trying to find the cause of a problem where programs that run fine on day shift don't run on second or third shift. Operators are describing probe hits and long pauses before continuing to next probe hits. Also trouble with move clearplanes being skipped demanding E stop dexterity. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
    David Kick

Programs stored on network

Your network may be slowing the data transfer down. I am also not sure how network programs handle multiple CMMs running the same program at the same time. We have 5 Global Images and a Leitz Reference with over 900 programs. We store all programs on a write protected network drive. (if you write protect the drive, they can't run from it but it also protects good programs from getting that nasty serialization error that trashes your program, never allowing you to run, look at or even open it again.) With a little training and 2 desktop shortcuts (copy from & copy to), the operators copy programs and models from the network into a specific local drive that they then run the programs from. This way the speed of your network is not a factor. I had our IT guy write a batch file that deletes all the programs on the local drive every 2 weeks. This cleans the local drive of the unused programs no longer being ran and keeps the quanity of programs in the local drive relatively small. If the operators notice their program is no longer available, they simply copy it back into the local cmm from the network. When programs were only on the local CMMs we/I sometimes forgot to copy any changes to all other CMMs. All changes are made to the network programs then local program is deleted. This way all programs are current. This sounds more cumbersome than it really is, we have been doing this for about 3 months and are very happy with the results (programmers and operators) .

Comment

Oh, I better not answer this (now that the REAL problem is being discussed) since his IT guy takes offense. BUT I will anyway

1) What version of Pcdmis are you running?
      2) What windoze are you running?
      3) What do you have for system resources?
      4) (clearance planes) Where is your cursor in the program? It needs to be at the END of the program with the program preferably programmed to return the head to a clear location as well as back to 0,0 probe angle. If your program starts and stops with a 0,0 tip, and your cursor is in the middle of the program where the angle is 90,0, then Pcdmis will ASSUME your head is at 90,0 when you execute the program, not at the 0,0 it actually is, and will move to the clearance plane height AS IF THE HEAD WERE AT 90,0.
      5) If you get false triggers when moving from place to place, Pcdmis CAN store the 'hit' as an operator hit, then when you finish the program, you will have hits left in memory, this will slow Pcdmis down
      6) Sometimes when you get a flase trigger moving from place to place, Pcdmis will insert a MOVEPOINT into the program WHEREEVER the cursor is, thus anothe reason for having the cursor at the end of the program, you can clearly see when a move point is added.

Another possibility: 2nd and 3rd are 'doing' things so they don't ahve to work (it has been known to happen)
      Another Possibility: 2nd and 3rd are making changes THEY think will make the program work better but actually screw it up (this has ALOS been known to happen)

Possible solution: Make 2nd and 3rd run in OPERATOR mode.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Matt,

Thank you for your obvious restraint.

Bill

Comment

I run all my programs through a network and I haven't had any problems. Unless it cuts out suddenly for whatever reason. That has happened a couple times, but it hasn't affected my programming or operation, not yet anyway

Aaron Fenner
          Quality Engineer
          PC-Dmis v4.3
          B & S Global Status 7.7.7
          6 years xp 32-bit

sigpic

Comment

I liken our network to the Hindenburg. It blows me away when I hear that anyone operates primarily from their network. It must be nice to have a network that does not go down like a cheap hooker on a military payday.
            <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

afenner,

You would be wise to head the input of our many "gurus".

We have a large "network", and therefore I would never consider running anything off the network.

I have an independent computer setup for my CMM. Everything is run locally.
              The only thing that I use the network for is to store my programs on.

Regards,
              ZydecoPete
              sigpic

Comment

Is it a big program and or is being looped? If it is and you are sending it all to the graphics window it will cause it to pause because of the amount going in. You can put in a print command at the end to stop this.
                sigpicOn the Obama Express. Next stop, the soup line.

Comment

Matt you forgot to mention "type" of network

is it a peer to peer, or an actual server?

peer to peer can cause considerable slowdowns...
                  Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
                  sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
                  Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

So, any resolve to this post or was it just a 'hit and run'?

No response to ANY helper's questions about anything WE need to know in order to help. Oh well....................
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by AndersI
                    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                      I liken our network to the Hindenburg. It blows me away when I hear that anyone operates primarily from their network. It must be nice to have a network that does not go down like a cheap hooker on a military payday.
                      Our network and PCDMIS run good togther, but craiger that description was pretty **** funny, I will use again if you don't have a patent on it.
                      sigpic

Comment

I claim ownership over nothing. I'm glad you have a network you can rely on.
                        <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Matt,

Good Boy, here is a biscuit, now go lay down....LOL

If there is no cad involved, pulling in off a network will work, if set up properly.
                          I don't recommend it (network), but if you must, be prepared for some strange occurences that B & S will not assist you with AT ALL. They can' support anything over a network (what does that tell you ?).

I have seen it work, with a good solid network, I also saw that same client screaming for 2 days while their server was down. I recommend the auto backup of the hard drive to all my clients, which any competent IT guy can do easily.You must pay special attention to the probe files and the routing too.

Thats all I got ta say about that...
                          Jim Jewell

Comment