Perpendicularity Being Reported as Zero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perpendicularity Being Reported as Zero?

Good morning. I am attempting to find out why my perpendicularity is being reported as zero every time I run a part. This particular perpendicularity has no diameter associated with it. See the screenshot attached.

I tried both:

Xact measure- simple plane generic feature set created from 2 sets of hits on both walls and referenced that against Datum A to find the perpendicularity.
    Legacy - created a constructed midplane from 2 planes (that were created from the set of hits on each wall) and referenced that against Datum a to find the perpendicularity.

See the code below for both the generic feature set creation and the dimensions I created. Both methods came back with 0. Would anyone be able to provide some insight? It would be appreciated, thank you.

Generic Feature Set Creation

Code:
    FT1 =FEAT/SET,CARTESIAN
    THEO/<-8.099,1.5,5.507>,<0,0,1>
    ACTL/<-8.153,1.501,5.508>,<0,0,1>
    CONSTR/SET,BASIC,RR85,RR86,RR87,RR88,RR89,RR90,RR91,RR92, RR93,RR94,,
    FT2 =FEAT/SET,CARTESIAN
    THEO/<8.103,1.333,6.078>,<0,0,1>
    ACTL/<8.092,1.333,6.088>,<0,0,1>
    CONSTR/SET,BASIC,RR95,RR96,RR97,RR98,RR99,RR100,RR101,RR1 02,RR103,RR104,RR105,RR106,,
    FT3 =FEAT/SET,CARTESIAN
    THEO/<0.738,1.409,5.818>,<0,0,1>
    ACTL/<0.708,1.409,5.824>,<0,0,1>
    CONSTR/SET,BASIC,FT1,FT2,,
    Both XactMeasure and Legacy Reporting

Code:
    F3 =GENERIC/PLANE,DEPENDENT,CARTESIAN,$
    NOM/XYZ,<FT3.TX,FT3.TY,FT3.TZ>,$
    MEAS/XYZ,<FT3.X,FT3.Y,FT3.Z>,$
    NOM/IJK,<1,0,0>,$
    MEAS/IJK,<1,0,0>
    PERP13_1 =PERPENDICULARITY : F3
    FEATCTRLFRAME/SHOWPARAMS=NO,SHOWEXPANDED=NO
    DIMENSION/PERPENDICULARITY,0.1,A,,
    NOTE/PERP13_1
    FEATURES/F3,,
    DIM PERP13= PERPENDICULARITY OF PLANE PLN8,RFS TO PLANE DATUM_A,RFS UNITS=MM ,$
    GRAPH=OFF TEXT=OFF MULT=10.00 OUTPUT=BOTH
    AX NOMINAL MEAS +TOL -TOL DEV OUTTOL
    M 0.000 0.000 0.100 0.000 0.000 0.000 #--------
    Attached Files

Have you tried measuring each side of the width as a planar feature and constructing a width feature from the two?

Comment

What Jacob said. I thought of that when I noticed 1 set has more "points" than the other. 2 options I would consider. do an opposing point on both walls then create a mid point. Do this as many times as you feel needed. Then take all the MIDPOINTS and create a PLN. Or create a pln on 1 side, then duplicate the hit locations on a pln on the other side, then create mid plan between the 2.

Comment

• BKulpa
        BKulpa commented
        Editing a comment
        I think Schlag's method is better, constructing features rather than sets which are just collections of points.

1) In your generic feature, you made the actual vector 1,0,0, which is exactly perpendicular to the alignment it's created in.
      $ NOM/IJK,<1,0,0>,$ MEAS/IJK,<1,0,0>
      2) Generic feature doesn't have a size associated with it, so even if you get the correct vector, it has no size and all you have is an angle.

3) I don't use that fancy new fangled GD&T, I stay with legacy, so I don't know that this is true for that, but constructed planes, like a midplane, have no form deviation, a factor in perpendicularity.

Id strongly recommend measuring symmetrical points on each plane, taking the midpoint of each pair, then constructing the plane from the points - this will give you a valid perpendicularity,

Comment

I agree with RandomJerk I noticed that when dimensioning perpendicularity of a midplane, the result would be zero everytime. Reason being, it's a construction (midplane) created off 2 more constructions (opposing planes.) This resulted in a midplane with no point data associated to it. Ever since then, I ALWAYS take equal and opposing points, create midpoints from opposing points, and construct a plane from those midpoints. Now the midplane has point data associated to it.
        In your code, you construct 2 separate sets, then construct a set off those sets which i think would do the same thing as I described. If you cannot create equal and opposing points due to the features not allowing it, then i would create a width feature like JacobCheverie said earlier.

Comment

• DAN_M
          DAN_M commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 VERY well said.

• ALousyUser
          ALousyUser commented
          Editing a comment
          What an incredible comment. It makes a lot of sense! Silly me. I will give this a shot. Thank you.

This^^
        PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment