formandlocation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• formandlocation

If there is no basic dimension to control location of a profile then it's just FORMONLY, correct.

Are you asking us, or telling us?

You are partially correct, but I couldn't resist.!LOL!

What does the symbol look like? An arc with no bottom, or with a line?
    When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
    sigpic

Comment

Asking cause someone is telling me.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
        Are you asking us, or telling us?

You are partially correct, but I couldn't resist.!LOL!

What does the symbol look like? An arc with no bottom, or with a line?
        Sorry, couldn't resist. With the line means form & location, but if there is no basic there is an error on the drawing.
        sigpic

Comment

Does it have a datum specified?
          sigpic
          Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
          PCDMIS 2012
          Windows Office XP

Comment

|profileofasurface|0.5|a|b(m)|c|

Comment

Sorry, couldn't resist. With the line means form & location, but if there is no basic there is an error on the drawing.
              ARC with a bottom line, is PROFILE OF A SURFACE (3-D)
              ARC without the line is PROFILE OF A LINE (2-D)

Examples of this would be (sheet metal)

PROFILE OF A SURFACE for all the surface and profile of a line for the edge of the surface.

FORM and LOCAITON will come into play by way of the datums called out. No datums in the FCF (profile 1.0mm) is form only. IF even 1 datum is in the FCF, then it is form and location since it has to be held in relationship to said datum.

As for a basic dimension, there is no basic dimension for profile. There has to be a tolerance value, but no basic.

Geez, John, I would have thought you would have gotten that one!
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Tested View Post
                |profileofasurface|0.5|a|b(m)|c|
                That callout out is FORM AND LOCATION, it has datum references in the FCF.
                sigpic
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                  ARC with a bottom line, is PROFILE OF A SURFACE (3-D)
                  ARC without the line is PROFILE OF A LINE (2-D)

Examples of this would be (sheet metal)

PROFILE OF A SURFACE for all the surface and profile of a line for the edge of the surface.

FORM and LOCAITON will come into play by way of the datums called out. No datums in the FCF (profile 1.0mm) is form only. IF even 1 datum is in the FCF, then it is form and location since it has to be held in relationship to said datum.

As for a basic dimension, there is no basic dimension for profile. There has to be a tolerance value, but no basic.

So this is not a good callout? ATTACH]1315[/ATTACH][
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tested View Post
                    So this is not a good callout? ATTACH]1315[/ATTACH][
                    I would say not, simply because the toleranced surface will NOT have any deviaiton to the A datum, it is perpendicular to the A datum. Maybe they wanted a perp. callout? I mean, check a point on that surface, is there any deviation in the axis that is the A datum? NOPE!
                    sigpic

Comment

I would say not, simply because the toleranced surface will NOT have any deviaiton to the A datum, it is perpendicular to the A datum. Maybe they wanted a perp. callout? I mean, check a point on that surface, is there any deviation in the axis that is the A datum? NOPE!
                      But there is deviation "PERPENDICULAR" to it.
                      My GD&T book seem to suggest that if there are no Basics holding it's location then it is form only.
                      But if there are bacics holding it; it does say that now it's form and location.

Comment

I would agree that what they want is to control the surface perp. to datum A. Why they called it out that way I don't know. I don't think it is an invalid callout. Although, it would be much more clear if they had put a basic 90º in there. Kev, you want to weigh in on this one?

Comment

I knew that! No clue what I was thinking.... I humbly apologize for my poor answer. I will not drink one beer this weekend as penance.
                          sigpic

Comment

I knew that! No clue what I was thinking.... I humbly apologize for my poor answer. I will not drink one beer this weekend as penance.
                            So how many are you drinking....
                            sigpic
                            if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Or perhaps he might be imbibing in another type of alcoholic beverage!!

ZydecoPete
                              sigpic

Comment