Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing probe head

Hello guys,
    I just got a new HH-A-T7.5 probe head for a brown and sharpe global. I don't have much experience with the hardware side of these machines but I would like to install the new probe head myself. Can anyone explain the process of installing the new head?
    Thanks for the help.

FUN STUFF CAN I COME DO IT... same wrist I did in an afternoon mine is HA-A-T5

fairly easy job to be honest

Comment

I drafted a procedure before I did it, Manager wasn't sure he believed I could do it so I outlined it quite nicely in an email... hang on

Comment

I wrote this and he ran it past tech support of a supplier... they came back with nothing to add or advise. Yes I got the wrist that straight before anybody asks, yes I know it is not 'needed' but it is ideal.

Hi,

As you are aware we have now ordered the Tesastar m motorized wrist and await delivery.
        We are planning for the install, and I think we have everything in a row but would like to run the process by you for review and advice if possible.
        Here are the steps as we have planned:
        1. Remove old wrist, lower the quill close to the table so that it can rest when the setscrew on the dowel is backed off. Once the quill is where I want it then power down the machine and controller completely. Now the setscrew is backed off and wrist removed, next the plate on the bottom of the quill comes off to expose the connector, unplug and set aside for core return.
        2. With the quill close to the table so the new wrist can rest safely, reconnect the cable and replace the bottom plate on the quill. Then the wrist is ready to insert into the quill, at this point I will leave the setscrew just tight enough to hold the wrist, not fully clamped
        3. Power up the machine after the hardware is installed.
        4. Alignment of the wrist will be next. My plan is to use wrist positions A90B0 and A-90B0 with one of the longer extensions we have. By mounting a fixed point on the table and moving only the y-axis and wrist it will be possible to get it fairly close visually. Once it is as close as I can get it by eye, I plan to put a dial indicator on the extension at A90B0 and jog the y-axis with a dial on the extension much like a vice is dialed in on a milling machine. When I have the dial reading no more than a few thou in this position, lock down the setscrew and check it at A-90B0 with the dial.
        5. Manually install my master probe and calibrate it in just position A0B0
        6. Straighten out the fixture plate on the table, it is found to be out of parallel with the machine y-axis
        7. Use the master probe to calibrate position of both probe change racks.
        8. Load the probe change racks and calibrate all probe sets completely.

It is my understanding that since we are replacing with the exact same model that we should have no concerns with the controller, there should be no parameters to worry about and all existing settings will be correct.
        I would appreciate review and any possible input, if you see something incorrect, incomplete or omitted from my plan please advise.

Comment

• jaystew
          jaystew commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks you! This will help me out a lot. Ill definitely mention the savings to the boss once the job is done, maybe then ill finally get a new computer chair....

Also if you do this yourself make sure the boss knows you just saved him 5,000 bux

Comment

i did ours on a shop floor CMM, on the global you will need to consider the air supply for the quill counterbalance would be the only thing different, just power it down and shut off air as usual so you know the quill won't move while servicing

Comment

sorry spam I'm too old to collect my thoughts in a single post I guess

Comment

Make sure you have the mounting plate on the wrist seated against the pads on the quill plate​​​​​​. Also you might find it easier to put the mounting plate on the wrist after hooking up the wiring

5.jpg

Comment

your mounting plate probably is like this?

6.JPG

Comment

• jaystew
                  jaystew commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No,the mounting plate looks more like the previous picture you posted. I tried to post a picture but the file was too large to upload.

if it is like mine in the first picture it is a cakewalk, the dowel size might be different and a slightly different mounting plate might be supplied with the wrist

Comment

the 2 screws on each side of the quill, leave them alone, just loosen the one at front to drop the wrist.

Comment

removing it is really as simple as loosen that one set screw, pull it out enough to disconnect wiring... done

Comment

• Douglas
                      Douglas commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I only recommend lowering the quill to near the table so it can rest on the table as you mess with wiring

• Douglas
                      Douglas commented
                      Editing a comment
                      oops loosen screw let it drop... 4 screws to take mount plate off wrist, then unclip the wiring... if I recall the plate is designed that it has a cutout and you are supposed to be able to do the wiring with it on the wrist but I found it got in the way and took it off