Building a custom probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a custom probe

I have scoured the forum on the steps to build a custom probe, but i still cant seem to get it right. I have followed all necessary steps in creating the "ITEM" and saving said item in the usrprobe.dat file. Whenever i go to add it to my probe build in the "LOADPROBE" dialog box, i cannot find my built item. I am building up to "convert to M2 thread", then searching for my build.I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on what im doing wrong. I am using PC-DMIS 2017 R2. I also attached a snippet of where my usrprobe.dat file is located, along with my probe build. It is the one that is highlighted in blue. Thanks.
    Attached Files

back your path down to 2017 R2, leave out the nccontrollers and siemens folders

Comment

That was it! Whenever I found that file, that’s where it was located so I assumed that’s where it needed to be . Thank you!

Comment

One more question don. This probe build is pretty much a disc probe . When we’re using this probe right now we have to add almost half the probe thickness to measure shallow diameters so it doesn’t bottom out . Do you think I could manipulate the hot spot to come from the bottom of the disc so we no longer have to do that manually from within features. Or do you think that could potentially cause other problems?

Comment

Originally posted by Gagedude127 View Post
          One more question don. This probe build is pretty much a disc probe . When we’re using this probe right now we have to add almost half the probe thickness to measure shallow diameters so it doesn’t bottom out . Do you think I could manipulate the hot spot to come from the bottom of the disc so we no longer have to do that manually from within features. Or do you think that could potentially cause other problems?
          hotspot MUST be 'center' of tool, not some offset. The 'hotspot' is a mathematical definition in the probe file, but it is calculated when you calibrate it to the real-world center of probe.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Okay. It would just make my fellow programmers lives much easier haha. Thank you for the response Matthew.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post

hotspot MUST be 'center' of tool, not some offset. The 'hotspot' is a mathematical definition in the probe file, but it is calculated when you calibrate it to the real-world center of probe.
              So when I go to calibrate my disk probe, it keeps trying to take a hit on top of the sphere. I have "DCC" selected in the calibration dialog box. Its my understanding that when selecting this it will not sample the top of the sphere. When calibrating any of my ball style probes, that's how it behaves. For whatever reason even having that selected it keeps trying to take hits on top of the sphere. Any ideas on why it would be behaving in this manner? Thanks.

Gage.

Comment

So when I go to calibrate my disk probe, it keeps trying to take a hit on top of the sphere. I have "DCC" selected in the calibration dialog box. Its my understanding that when selecting this it will not sample the top of the sphere. When calibrating any of my ball style probes, that's how it behaves. For whatever reason even having that selected it keeps trying to take hits on top of the sphere. Any ideas on why it would be behaving in this manner? Thanks.

Gage.
                You MUST change the start/end angle for the calibration to +/-6 degrees or so, depends on the thickness of the disk.
                sigpic
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

You MUST change the start/end angle for the calibration to +/-6 degrees or so, depends on the thickness of the disk.

I have the start/end set to +\-2 degrees and it still did it.

Comment

I have the start/end set to +\-2 degrees and it still did it.

are you telling it the tool has moved? You can only calibrate a disk in DCC mode when the location of the sphere is known. You also can not use the "dcc find" option. MUST be "NO TOOL HASN'T MOVED"
                    sigpic

Comment

are you telling it the tool has moved? You can only calibrate a disk in DCC mode when the location of the sphere is known. You also can not use the "dcc find" option. MUST be "NO TOOL HASN'T MOVED"
                      No I am not. I am selecting "no", the tool has not moved.

Comment