need to upgrade to a new Pc ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to upgrade to a new Pc ???

i have a dell precison 650 workstation with 4 gigs of ram a 3d wildcat4 7110 video card an it takes me about 10 minutes to import a cad file that is 280mb,once the file is loaded it seems to ok to manipulate the data.does anyone have any ideas as to what i need to do to improve the time it takes to read in the data.i have tried it on a 670 with 2 gigs an it loads up it less that half the time. thx

Where are you importing it from? (ie: Shared Drive, USB drive, CD, C-Drive)
    sigpic
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Comment

c-drive

Comment

Originally posted by jessejames View Post
        i have a dell precison 650 workstation with 4 gigs of ram a 3d wildcat4 7110 video card an it takes me about 10 minutes to import a cad file that is 280mb,once the file is loaded it seems to ok to manipulate the data.does anyone have any ideas as to what i need to do to improve the time it takes to read in the data.i have tried it on a 670 with 2 gigs an it loads up it less that half the time. thx
        If it loads slower on the "better" computer, you have a setting wrong. Under System properties-Advance-Performance, compare the settings of the two computers. Make sure that you have XP set to "traditional" mode and turn off the graphics [email protected] Make sure that Drive C is set for Performance and write caching is turned on. With a system like this, you should have a SATA drive not a EIDE drive.

Also, check your bios settings and MB manual, I dont think WinXP fully supports 4gig of Ram and this may be messing things up.

Then if your still not satisfied then get a RAM Drive installed for the fastest "hard drive" possible.
        http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1...m/index.x?pg=1
        http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1...ram/loaded.jpg
        Last edited by cmmguy; 05-02-2007, 02:21 PM.
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

thank you for your help i will check asap an let you know much appreciated

Comment

Mna, I'd like to get a hold of some of those sticks...
            sigpic
            Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
            PCDMIS 2012
            Windows Office XP

Comment