Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfortunate Situation With Portlock

Good afternoon!

Question for anyone that can help out in this situation. Unfortunately yesterday morning our shop was broken into. Of course, they make it to my office and take my PC, Monitor, and Portlock which was plugged into my PC. Is there anything at all that can be done in this situation besides the obvious?

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance everyone!!
    PG

PC-DMIS 2010 MR3
    B&S Global Advantage 7-10-7
    TesaStar - SP25
    Houston, TX

Sorry to hear about your troubles, they may not even know what they have. To start with, you can continue to use PC-DMIS offline through the end of June. Other than that, maybe watch e-bay for someone trying to sell a portlock.

Comment

Good ol insurance claim...

Comment

Just another thought, could it have been someone in the shop itself? Did they take anything from the building besides your computer? Maybe they knew you had a high end system? I hate to say it, but many years ago a similar thing happened to me, someone stole the hard drive from my computer, and it turned out to be someone from within the building.

Comment

Originally posted by pguillory View Post
          Good afternoon!

Question for anyone that can help out in this situation. Unfortunately yesterday morning our shop was broken into. Of course, they make it to my office and take my PC, Monitor, and Portlock which was plugged into my PC. Is there anything at all that can be done in this situation besides the obvious?

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance everyone!!
          Talk to your salesman, he's going to know the most.
          Systems Integrator
          Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment

That is so tragic - they'll probably just think it's a memory stick and most likely bin it.

Is your SMA up to date or is the version listed in your sig where you're up to?
            Applications Engineer
            Hexagon UK

Comment

Hi everyone!! Sorry for the late reply on an update for you all. Either way, I really appreciate the help and responses. So...

Hexagon took great care of us and I now have an updated LMS License, Offline License, and PCD 2020. I'm excited! However, is it best to perform a clean install and if so, how do I connect to my controller?

I also still have the old oldddd PC from when I first transferred the data to the new (now stolen) PC. I can't remember the route taken though. I just remember something to do with the Comm ports and drivers. Any help would be appreciated!
              PG

PC-DMIS 2010 MR3
              TesaStar - SP25
              Houston, TX

Comment

IF the told PC can still run PC-DMIS, the I would start with the Settings Editor. Use the BACKUP function to store all of the options at the top, no need for a specific PRG, CAD, or PRB at this stage, just leave those fields empty for now. Run BACKUP from the old system, and then use the Settings Editor on the new system to do a RESTORE.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Ruggieri View Post
                  IF the told PC can still run PC-DMIS, the I would start with the Settings Editor. Use the BACKUP function to store all of the options at the top, no need for a specific PRG, CAD, or PRB at this stage, just leave those fields empty for now. Run BACKUP from the old system, and then use the Settings Editor on the new system to do a RESTORE.
                  The settings editor might not be an option if there is no license on the old PC. If that is the case, I would suggest looking at the ReadMe file for your new version (it should be in the following location following install : "C:\Program Files\Hexagon\PC-DMIS 2020 R1 64-bit\language\Readme.pdf"). There should be section on backing up old systems that details what files you need to transfer based on the type of CMM you have.
                  Neil Challinor
                  PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
                  E: [email protected]

Comment

• pguillory
                    pguillory commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome I will definitely look into this! I did it last time but of course I had my license. I still have the old computer so I can access those files.

In my experience installing Pc-Dmis from scratch on a new PC on a Global is a doddle.

Only thing you might struggle with is Option Probe settings as you have a scanning head.
                  Applications Engineer
                  Hexagon UK

Comment

Yeah, gonna try to find the ReadMe file to get the specific files needed for the new install. Unless anyone has that type of info off top!? Haha. Also, anyone use a dock connector for the Controller/Interface to plug into before going into your actual PC?
                    PG

PC-DMIS 2010 MR3
                    TesaStar - SP25
                    Houston, TX

Comment

• neil.challinor
                      neil.challinor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Check your IP address / com port settings - both on the PC and inside PC-Dmis (Edit>Machine Interface setup). If it's a com port, check in device manager. Sometimes windows re-names the com ports - for example what you might usually expect to be COM1 I've seen windows re-name to COM4 ??????

• pguillory
                      pguillory commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Okay I've looked at that and seen that, but what do I look for in the case of the IP address?

• neil.challinor
                      neil.challinor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The IP address is only needed if the CMM uses an ethernet connection. It depends on the type of controller. For example, if it's a new Global CMM, it will probably have an FDC controller which would have an IP address of 100.0.0.1. You can find the IP address information in the Machine Installation Manual (MIM) within the help files https://docs.hexagonmi.com/pcdmis/20...ual_(MIIM).htm

Okay everyone I finally got it!

Few things that I needed to get done:

Update a driver related to a 'PL2303' error due to 'USB-to-Serial' old Cable
                    Ran PCD exe file AS ADMINISTRATOR and installed, checked box to launch PCD
                    Closed the error message, updated my Comm Port data after Updating my Drivers
                    Then updated the 'lietz.dll' and renamed it to 'interfac.dll' (delete the original interfac.dll file)

And I'm up and going! Just need to move over some old files but either way, thanks to ALL OF YOU for always being a reliable resource for an Up-and-Comer lol
                    PG

PC-DMIS 2010 MR3
                    TesaStar - SP25
                    Houston, TX

Comment