Slot True position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slot True position

Learned Peers, please see the attached (1). I am unure how to measure and tolerance the true position of the slot (Ø 0.30 to D - the face in view). Im even finding the true position callout for the radius difficult to comprehend. If I rotate the CS by 5.50° then the 15.50 dimension will change, surely the 15.50 dim wants to be square to the 5.50° angle? Looks screwy to me but Im hardly an experty in ASME G,D and T.
    Any help will be gratefully recieved. I have added a plan view (2) and an ISO view for clarity.

Cheers.

F.
    Attached Files
    Recently jumped from 3.5 Mr 2 CAD
    to 2012 CAD++

Rotate your slot to 5.50 degrees, measure slot & then recall your alignment & dimension..........
    sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

No expert myself
      It would seem you req further info, On drg 2 where is the dim line for dat C coming from /or going to?
      Also, Can't see where the slot is referanced from allong the part, you have a angle but no way of tieing it back to the length or where is the angle struck from a datum i.e. distance from datum C.
      Regarding pos (Ø 0.30 to D - the face in view). This sort of imples squarness to face but is not the best way of calling it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedit View Post
        No expert myself
        It would seem you req further info, On drg 2 where is the dim line for dat C coming from /or going to?
        Also, Can't see where the slot is referanced from allong the part, you have a angle but no way of tieing it back to the length or where is the angle struck from a datum i.e. distance from datum C.
        Regarding pos (Ø 0.30 to D - the face in view). This sort of imples squarness to face but is not the best way of calling it out.
        Agreed - missing basic location data for the slot. But you would(after getting the missing data) rotate to the slots basic angle to report width TP,
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

So we are in agreement, Im missing this dim yeah? (3)

CMMGuy - how does the true position relate to the width? I dont have slot auto function (using DMIS CAD) so Im unsure how to tolerance it. I understand I need to rotate by 5.5° but thats where I get stuck ;o(
          Attached Files
          to 2012 CAD++

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer View Post
            So we are in agreement, Im missing this dim yeah? (3)

CMMGuy - how does the true position relate to the width? I dont have slot auto function (using DMIS CAD) so Im unsure how to tolerance it. I understand I need to rotate by 5.5° but thats where I get stuck ;o(
            There is another thread running here on the same subject and it suggests using a generic circle. I cant believe that you cant do a TP on a slot in the almighty PCDMIS.... Surely that is corrected in 4.x

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
              There is another thread running here on the same subject and it suggests using a generic circle. I cant believe that you cant do a TP on a slot in the almighty PCDMIS.... Surely that is corrected in 4.x
              His version isn't of a high enough order, Pcdmis, Pcdmis-basic, Pcdmis-Cad, Pcdmis Cad++, has nothing to do with V3.7, or 4.1, etc.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Hmm yeah, I saw that one.

That confused me too ;o)

I'm guessing that the true position call out for this slot is simply to control the perpendicularity of said feature, because the datum reference is to the face on what the feature lies.

Thanks for the help Guys.
                to 2012 CAD++

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                  His version isn't of a high enough order, Pcdmis, Pcdmis-basic, Pcdmis-Cad, Pcdmis Cad++, has nothing to do with V3.7, or 4.1, etc.
                  What say you then Matthew? I cant measure the true position of the slot can I? The radius I can measure (simply) If I get the missing dim but as far as I know I cant do the slot.
                  to 2012 CAD++

Comment

So you are saying that without a CAD version, you cant do true position of a width (Not referring to using auto slot)???

Comment

So you are saying that without a CAD version, you cant do true position of a width (Not referring to using auto slot)???
                      In case of any confusion, I do have CAD; just not CAD ++ (the one with the nice slot autofeature).
                      to 2012 CAD++

Comment

Apparently without CAD++ you do NOT have the option of even making a slot, at least, not an AUTO FEATURE slot.
                        sigpic
                        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Apparently without CAD++ you do NOT have the option of even making a slot, at least, not an AUTO FEATURE slot.
                          IMO, the width feature(not slot) should have a single axis TP characteristic. No gymnastics required...

Comment

Confirmed

*looks at PCDMIS CAD all embarassed*
                            to 2012 CAD++

Comment

Well, what I would suggest (other than getting the money out) is to create 2 generic circles, one based on the width and one on the length of the slot.

1) Measure a circle at each end (using 3 surface sample hits)
                              2) Construct a point at the mid-points of the circles
                              3) Construct a generic circle, using the average diameter of the end circles for the size
                              4) Construct a generic circle, using the 2-D distance (add radii) between the 2 end circles as the size
                              5) TP each generic circle by itself.

If, you only need the width, you can omit the stuff for the length of the slot.
                              sigpic

Comment