Security again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security again

I never did get an answer to this question so I am trying again.

Why do I get a "serialization" error when trying to open a program from a write-protected volume?

see the screenshot attached
    Last edited by John Riggins; 08-23-2007, 07:11 PM.
    Lately, it occurs to me
    What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Originally posted by John Riggins View Post

Why do I get a "serialization" error when trying to open a program from a write-protected volume?

see the screenshot attached[ATTACH]1303[/ATTACH]

Are you trying to open a program that may have been written in a later version?
    B & S XCEL 7-10-7
    Sharpe32 Controller
    PH10MQ & ACR1 Toolchanger
    TP20 & TP2 Probes
    Pcdmis CAD++ 3.7mr3, 4.3mr1, 2009mr1, 2010mr1
    Datapage RT 3.33
    sigpic

Comment

see the screenshot attached[ATTACH]1303[/ATTACH]
      John, I suspect you do not have any problem at all. You just want to see where the hi-jack will go this time!

Sorry, since none of the B&S/Wilcox/Hexagon people have offered you any help in your previous thread, I think you are going to have to resort to the 1-800-#
      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Did you try my suggestions from the other thread?

Open a program from a write protected folder on the hard drive rather than the network to be absolutely 100% sure the network isn't the problem?

Open a file from some other form of protected media such as a write protected floppy or a CD?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
          Did you try my suggestions from the other thread?

Open a program from a write protected folder on the hard drive rather than the network to be absolutely 100% sure the network isn't the problem?

Open a file from some other form of protected media such as a write protected floppy or a CD?

Yep, I copied a program and its .cad file to a CD, closed the CD to writing and tried to open the program with PCD.
          The screenshot error above is the result.

PCD is obviously trying to write something when a program is being opened. It would be good to know if this can be prevented or if the file that is being written (probably some kind of temp file) could be redirected to some other place.
          Lately, it occurs to me

Comment

Yep, I copied a program and its .cad file to a CD, closed the CD to writing and tried to open the program with PCD.
            The screenshot error above is the result.

PCD is obviously trying to write something when a program is being opened. It would be good to know if this can be prevented or if the file that is being written (probably some kind of temp file) could be redirected to some other place.
            IF you have a hyper-report in the program, I do beleive it is tring to write a hyper-report file, so, if the program has a hyper-report in it, make a copy of it, delete the hyper-report, and try it again.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by kpayne View Post

Are you trying to open a program that may have been written in a later version?
              I'm going with this guy. What version are you trying to open it with and has the program ever been opened with a higher version?
              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                I'm going with this guy. What version are you trying to open it with and has the program ever been opened with a higher version?
                No it isn't that(don't know what it is either), but it's not the older vs newer version thing. The error wouldexplicilty say soemthing to the effect that this program was made with a newer version blah blah blah.
                Last edited by JamesMannes; 05-18-2007, 02:09 PM.
                sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Could it be the way your IT dept has your profiles set-up on the computers for access.
                  sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                    No it isn't that(don't know what it is either), but it's not the older vs newer version thing. The error wouldexplicilty say soemthing to the effect that this program was made with a newer version blah blah blah.
                    Gotcha.

When you explore to the file or check it's properties how big is it?
                    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
                      Could it be the way your IT dept has your profiles set-up on the computers for access.
                      Yeah that is a good idea. Whoever is programming with DMIS is required by the software to have "administrative" rights on that computer(3.7 and above require this.
                      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                        Yeah that is a good idea. Whoever is programming with DMIS is required by the software to have "administrative" rights on that computer(3.7 and above require this.
                        Why do they have to have local admin rights?
                        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                          Why do they have to have local admin rights?
                          Sorry I don't know the answer to that, I just know it is needed.
                          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

No hyper-report.

No version issues.

No profiles problem.

Pcd will not open a program from a directory that it cannot write to.

Why?

That is my question and, is there a way around it?
                            Lately, it occurs to me

Comment

No hyper-report.

No version issues.

No profiles problem.

Pcd will not open a program from a directory that it cannot write to.

Why?

That is my question and, is there a way around it?
                              Are you printing the report to a file? Is it hanging up because the write path for a report save is to a 'blocked' directory?
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by AndersI
                              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment