Thickness of a groove with a disk probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thickness of a groove with a disk probe

How can you measure the thickness of a groove with a disk probe? it is about 1 inch down from the top.

unless the disk has rollers you cannot. How to calibrate rollers if you have them is a whole new post that you should search first maybe

Comment

Thank you for your response. I didn't think I could measure on the up stroke.

Comment

a disk with rollers can but just how is opening a can of worms like you don't see coming, I go in first with a star probe to get groove walls for width and location then switch to disk for diameters, offsetting relative to the measured wall.

Comment

• Douglas
          Douglas commented
          Editing a comment
          it is an advantage to hit the walls before diameters, your disk will never crash if groove location is out of spec, and your disc will always hit the same distance from the wall. I hit wider grooves in three locations, middle and near each wall to catch uneven groove bottom

For stuff like this, I use starprobes.

Shown is:
        6way tp20, 40mm EXT, 5way tesastar, with a 1X10 in tip3. No other tips.
        picprobe.PNG

With this type of probe you'll be able to get the ID of the o-ring and both sides of the gap. Drop into the ID, measure the part in quadrants or sixths, then copy & paste with pattern, THEN construct that stuff together to get your geometry to pull dimensions off of.

If you have a TP20 style probing (trilobe), you MUST use a 6way in order to up-trigger. If you use cone probing like the X1H you're good to go.
        Last edited by DAN_M; 03-17-2020, 08:04 AM.
        SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

Thanks for all yalls help. I am going down inside a hole that the disk probe just barely clears so all I will be able to get is the diameter and the depth of the bottom of the groove.

Comment