Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intersection Point Problem Between Line & Curve

Hi guys,
    I got a problem. I can't get pc dmis to create intersection point between a line & a curve I made on CAD. It keeps saying something like "do not converge". I got all the points inline but still I can't get that intersection point to show up. Any ideas? Basically I made a line on flat surface & curve on radius pc dmis won't intersect them. I got 3 points to make line and 10 to make curve on that radius. The forum only let me post no more than 26KB or so that's why those pics are not so great.
    Thanks!
    filedata/fetch?filedataid=18489https://www.pcdmisforum.com/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==filedata/fetch?filedataid=18490https://www.pcdmisforum.com/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Did you try constructing a pierce point?

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

Is the radius and line tangent? If so, construct a perpendicular line from the tangent line through the circle and construct a pierce point using the circle with that line. If the point ends up on the wrong side of the circle, construct a reverse line from the perp line and use that for the pierce.
      A line intersects a circle in either 2 places or none. Tangencies can sometimes be none. This method takes care of that problem and will always intersect.

Comment

I let Pc Dims to choose. It usually employs pierce when I need to intersect a line with a circle or plane. But in this case it said math failed right after I selected the line & curve.
        Per CAD they are tangent but I tried to construct the circle from that radius but it's location is off what the print calls. What I can't figure out why pc dmis can't construct the point even if those features line up precisely. I used to program OGP with Measuremind3D & I had dozens of examples like this. Mm3D always managed to create intersection point between arc/circle & line even if they weren't exactly in line with each other. But thanks for the idea! I will test it tomorrow.

Comment

I would construct a plane instead of a line, and use pierce point between curve and plane, it usually works fine for me.
          Construct a genric plane with LIN.XYZ as centroid and ASSIGN/V1=CROSS(LIN.IJK,PLN.IJK) as vector (PLN is the flat surface on which you measured the line, so that V1 is the vector perp to PLN and contains LIN)

Comment

Originally posted by MattR View Post
            I let Pc Dims to choose. It usually employs pierce when I need to intersect a line with a circle or plane. But in this case it said math failed right after I selected the line & curve.
            Per CAD they are tangent but I tried to construct the circle from that radius but it's location is off what the print calls. What I can't figure out why pc dmis can't construct the point even if those features line up precisely. I used to program OGP with Measuremind3D & I had dozens of examples like this. Mm3D always managed to create intersection point between arc/circle & line even if they weren't exactly in line with each other. But thanks for the idea! I will test it tomorrow.
            Are you in the correct work plane? So that the software can see the circle and line as they are 2d features.
            3.7mr3CAD++ / 2011mr1CAD++/2012mr1CAD++/QUINDOS7

Comment

I tried virtually all workplaces & nothing. Pc Dmis can't construct that point.
              The problem is that those surfaces are round with OD on top larger than OD below it connected by this what I can call it curvy radius?
              I can't do assignments I wish I could do because I was thinking generic point would do the job here. But I never done those except one time in Hexagon training lab 2 years ago & the training book is worse than useless.

Comment

Throwing this out there, create a extended generic line using you lines features until it actually pierces the surface and then create a point.
                sigpic

Comment

How do I do this? Never done generic & expressions.

Comment

Originally posted by JEFMAN View Post
                    I would construct a plane instead of a line, and use pierce point between curve and plane, it usually works fine for me.
                    Construct a genric plane with LIN.XYZ as centroid and ASSIGN/V1=CROSS(LIN.IJK,PLN.IJK) as vector (PLN is the flat surface on which you measured the line, so that V1 is the vector perp to PLN and contains LIN)
                    With some details : I assume that the line is LIN1 and the top plane PLN1

ASSIGN/V1=LIN1.XYZ
                    ASSIGN/V2=CROSS(LIN1.IJK,PLN1.IJK)
                    F1 =GENERIC/PLANE,DEPENDENT,CARTESIAN,$
                    NOM/XYZ,<V1.X,V1.Y,V1.Z>,$
                    MEAS/XYZ,<V1.X,V1.Y,V1.Z>,$
                    NOM/IJK,<V2.I,V2.J,V2.K>,$
                    MEAS/IJK,<V2.I,V2.J,V2.K1>

Then construct a pierce point between the curve and the generic plane F1.

Comment