Part Staging Methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part Staging Methods?

Out of simple curiosity, what are some of the methods you use to secure the part to be inspected to the CMM bed? I've used:

- Rayco fixturing board and its accessories
    - double sided tape
    - those staircase screw clamps (what are they called if anyone knows?)
    - Dedicated fixtures

But that's about it.
    Last edited by ALousyUser; 03-04-2020, 09:50 AM.

Dedicated fixtures
    Hot glue
    Magnetic blocks

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

• ALousyUser
      ALousyUser commented
      Editing a comment
      Hot glue! Fascinating. Any specific reason why?

• jigars
      jigars commented
      Editing a comment
      It is just to avoid any movement in part during inspection.

magnetic chuck
    molding puddy

Comment

Nitrocellulose lacquer ( nail varnish )

Comment

• ALousyUser
        ALousyUser commented
        Editing a comment
        Huh, so you use it to stick parts to the grid/fixture?

• UKCMM
        UKCMM commented
        Editing a comment
        Used to hold very flexible parts in a fixture without causing clamping stresses, wash with acetone to remove.

used much of all that stuff and also big vee blocks for large tubular parts can work well

Comment

don't forget that Sharpie Markers work as well. For a nice, flat, light-weight small part, mark on the part or table with a Sharpie, then place the part quick. It will 'glue' it to the table and it is easy to get off.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• ALousyUser
          ALousyUser commented
          Editing a comment
          I learned something new today. Was this a learned mistake, similar to when Alexander Fleming accidentally discovered pencillin?

FYI, Rayco is like Kleenex, the brand is socially indicative of the product.
        Any fixture grid will do, (R&R Fixtures, thorlabs, metrologyworks, fixlogix, etc), even if it's not made by rayco.

Also, more obscure, and somewhat a desperate last-resort is the use of denture mold putty or reprorubber to cast an inversion of what you need to measure.

Comment

• ALousyUser
          ALousyUser commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm fond of reprorubber. The stuff works so great (not that I've ever used it for measuring with cmms).

• louisd
          louisd commented
          Editing a comment
          I've used all three versions, and the thin-set stuff dries really hard, enough to poke at with a TP20 std force and have no deflection of the mold.

• ALousyUser
          ALousyUser commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool. I've only had exposure to the blue quick setting reprorubber. Used it for creating inverted molds of complex angles to check on the optical comparator.

We use clamps with angle plates or 1x2x3 blocks and v-blocks. However, I would die without my gridplate. I have one that covers the entire granite (except the ways) with holes .5" apart. Absolute must for me.
        Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was lost on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

• gibsonridge
          gibsonridge commented
          Editing a comment
          yea i miss mine from the old work place,
          have made my own rayco plates and clamps at this new place

• ALousyUser
          ALousyUser commented
          Editing a comment
          No doubt, it helps so much for quick set ups. Just write down the coordinates of the standoffs/cones, and then manual alignments will rarely be needed.

• Douglas
          Douglas commented
          Editing a comment
          same, full R&R fixture plate that never moves, manual alignments can be run once then forgotten forever.. or just forgotten altogether by teaching part origin in the F5>machine tab

99% Vices & Chucks. We were looking at swift n fix and custom fixturing kits, but it seems too complicated for the operators to assemble on their own (especially since we have such variety of parts that goes thru our 1 CMM everyday).
        We also made our own fixture plate with bolts and plugs. So if the part is heavy enough we can just push it against the plugs with no clamp or "fixturing"

Comment

Playdough

Comment

Standoffs, clamps, v blocks, magnets, dedicated fixtures, reporubber

Comment

I as well have used most of the the above methods to hold parts for inspection on the cmm but for the past few year 3d printed fixtures have been my favorite

Comment

Raco type fixturing for 90% and custom fixtures for the other 10%. We do aluminum extrusions so the generic standofffs and clamps / suctions work great on most parts and completly worthless on a small ammount. I build the " assembly " in solidworks and use that as a screen shot for the cmm setup sheet, and then program from that assembly. Pretty simple to load part based on screen shot. We have a stack of 18 x 18 subplates that then sit on a larger plate with nests on it. These plates then stay setup untill the job is completed any where from 1 shift to a few weeks.

Comment

Rayco ($65,000 worth) with a ton of 3D printed fixtures made in-house, I never had it so good. It's all very repeatable. Life's good!

Comment

Rubbers bands.... not only good for holding parts but the big ones are also good for hitting people in the back of the head as they walk away from you
                    Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                    Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

• A-machine-insp
                      A-machine-insp commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Or for getting the attention of people with headphones on.

I am usually the guy getting hit. Don't like the music that they play and I have to have my music.

• ALousyUser
                      ALousyUser commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Please allow me to introduce you to my friend. Slingshot, dwade. Dwade, slingshot.