rotate to plane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotate to plane?

Is it advisable when making an alignment to rotate to a plane.
    I have always used a line.
    ["Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson ][/SIGPIC]

I owuld prefer a line, myself, since it is strictly a 2-D feature. A plane is a 3-D feature and using one for a rotation COULD have some funny results, I would think.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Done as such
      thanks
      ["Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson ][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Is rotating to a plane equivalent to rotating to a trace of the plane on the work plane?

Comment

Do it all of the time. Make sure you are picking up a healthy compliment of the plane.
          <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

I take it you have two planar datums.

Lets say A and B are both planes. Your FCF call out |A|B|C|. Aligning by leveling A and then rotating to B can be tricky. If, however, you level to B and then level to A, the level to A will overide any undesireable rotation to B.

Or, you could just do as Matt suggests and measure a line on B.

Comment

Or, even intersect the 2 planes.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Rotating to planes is simple if you control the axis of rotation. So don't ever rotate about an axis you didn't just level to. K?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                  Do it all of the time. Make sure you are picking up a healthy compliment of the plane.
                  Here also, but it is usually only when the drawing requires it by placing datum targets in areas that would result in a plane.
                  sigpic
                  Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                  PCDMIS 2012
                  Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Pierce View Post
                    Is it advisable when making an alignment to rotate to a plane.
                    I have always used a line.
                    It is ok to rotate to a plane(as most everyone has pointed out) just do not set an origin to it.
                    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment