How to change pcdmis program axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change pcdmis program axis

Hii, I have PCDMIS program for a part which runs good but I have problem with the setup. Now I want to change the setup. i want to rotae my part anticlockwise by 90 degree and then part +X will be +Y & +Y will be -X. I want to keep Z axis same. Could somebody please help how to do that ?

What exactly are you wanting to rotate? The physical part on the table or just the coordinate system of the program?

Comment

• KAPTAN SINGH
      KAPTAN SINGH commented
      Editing a comment
      I want top rotate the physical part.

Okay, so here's what I would try if you want to rotate the physical part and you already have a working program.

First, save a backup copy of the current working program just in case the new one doesn't work

After you rotate the part on the table, edit the alignments in the program to reflect the rotation you made on the table.
    So like you said, if the X+ is now Y+, go and edit the alignment in the program so that the X+ rotation is now a Y+ rotation.
    After you do this, the program will give you a notice asking if you want to update nominal based on this new alignment
    Be sure you click YES on this window. This will keep all your measurements from the previous alignment and just update them to the new one.

I think that should make the program work the same as it did before the rotation.

If someone else more experienced than me is lurking this thread, please correct me if I'm wrong!

Comment

• RandomJerk
      RandomJerk commented
      Editing a comment
      With one very important note - probe angles don't change. So if you're using A<>0, you'll have to adjust those.

• Douglas
      Douglas commented
      Editing a comment
      that is what I was thinking is probe tip vectors... auto wrist toggle might get through some of it if the wrist angles needed were available?

You can adjust the machine axis by F5 , part machine and choose the axis of the machine to run the part without having to change the alignments. But you still have change the head articulations.

Comment

Isn't changing the machine axis in F5 a machine setting and not a program setting ? I don't see that ending well...

Comment

• A-machine-insp
        A-machine-insp commented
        Editing a comment
        One of out programmers does that for all of his programs and uses alignments to rotate and transform the part from aircraft coordinates to part coordinates. Those programs are a nightmare. They work but are a a pain in the @ss to analyze alignment problems.

• Schlag
        Schlag commented
        Editing a comment
        My OCD is acting up just reading that....

• brian.freeman
        brian.freeman commented
        Editing a comment
        @A-machine-insp
        @Schlag
        Changing the machine axis using F5, doesn't change all other programs, just the one you are working with.
        I work with aircraft parts, mostly, so I keep the parts oriented in 'space' so I don't have to 'transform' the part axis to match the machine axis. Tghis is much easier when you have to export out the measured data into an Iges or Stp file, then overlay it in the assembly model for analysis.
        I don't see how it would affect the alignment. Mine overlay perfectly to the model datums or alignment

Use operation to mirror or transform the part and the rotation will follow correctly.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks to all for helping me out. I used F5 trick and it worked out. The only thing I had to change manually are probe angles. Rest of the things were good. I did not want to touch alignments as I did not make that program and it might cause problems. I did not try transform but will try that one too and I will post here if it will work. Thanks again

Comment

• brian.freeman
          brian.freeman commented
          Editing a comment
          If you 'transform' the part to new coordinates, you will need to change your alignment features to match the new coordinates of the part.