Problem with STEP file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with STEP file

It seems models and software are the topic of the day. Here's my problem and I'll start by saying I know nothing about STEP files or any associated software. I have used the demo version of Rhino 3D to change the zero point in a step file but that's the extent of my knowledge.

I am trying to program offline from a customer supplied STEP file generated from Catia. When I click on the model in PC-DMIS to create a surface or vector point I get a message on the bottom of the PC-DMIS edit window, not a pop up, instructing me to "SELECT WIRE ON SURFACE" so I click on the model again and the message changes to "TAKE FINAL HIT ON THIS SURFACE". After a third click sometime I get a point close to the selected spot and sometime the point falls else where on the model.

Edge points stay at the same X, Y & Z at whatever the previous feature was only the vectors change with the same messages above.

Circles are not even recognized.

I have talked to my customer and he has no idea from what I can tell him. He has sent me an IGES of the same part with the same results from PC-DMIS.

As always any and all help is appreciated. If one of ya'll with more knowledge than me (it ain't hard to do) would be willing to take a look at this file PM me an email address.

Thanks
    Perry
    B&S Mistral
    3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Do you have BOTH surface and WIRE FRAME data in the file? If so, change to SURFACE mode instead of WIRE mode.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Yes, Matthew is correct. Also separate the wire entities and solids into two different levels. You may have two or three levels with duplicate entities, that the software is recognizing.
      sigpic

Comment

Success!!

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
        Do you have BOTH surface and WIRE FRAME data in the file? If so, change to SURFACE mode instead of WIRE mode.

It appears I ONLY have surfaces, no wire. When I un-select draw surfaces the model disappears.

That's it Professor Matt. I was in WIRE mode instead of SURFACE mode. I have done very little offline programming with cad models. Evidently this is the first cad mode I have had without wire data.

Thanks. I told you was easy to be smarter than me working with solid models.
        Perry
        B&S Mistral
        3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

Originally posted by Cumofo View Post
          Yes, Matthew is correct. Also separate the wire entities and solids into two different levels. You may have two or three levels with duplicate entities, that the software is recognizing.

Ok, how do I do that?
          Perry
          B&S Mistral
          3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Fisher View Post
            Ok, how do I do that?
            Go to VIEW SETUP, click CREATE, a new box pops up. Click CREATE under New Level then select the surfaces you want to create a new level for. It can be a pain sometimes and quite time consuming...
            sigpic
            Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
            PCDMIS 2012
            Windows Office XP

Comment