What solid Modeling Packages are preferred?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What solid Modeling Packages are preferred?

I was just wondering what solid modeling software most people use. I would like to start using the CAD models to write our programs, but am unsure what is easy, not terribly expensive, and able to save them as the .igs format.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Originally posted by MFCguy View Post
    I was just wondering what solid modeling software most people use. I would like to start using the CAD models to write our programs, but am unsure what is easy, not terribly expensive, and able to save them as the .igs format.

Thanks for the input in advance.
    If you want IGES format, stay the he11 away from UG, it butchers IGES files, not sure if it is because UG uses internal 'short-cuts' in the cretion of the data or if it's IGES export function is a total piece of crap. It WILL do STEP files fairly well, but it just ruins IGES.

My favorite is CADKEY (older versions, like CADKEY 19), it does a REAL nice job of IGES conversions. There have been many times when I have had to take a customer-supplied IGES file from a UG system and import the data into Cadkey and FIX 30% of the screwed up surfaces UG made. As for cheap ones, I have no idea. We no longer SMA the Cadkey, everyone else in the place has moved on to other systems (like UG), but I can take MY data from the CMM and reverse engineer a detail in about 1/3 the time using Cadkey then the cad guys can using UG.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I use Solidworks here. Not the cheapest, but very powerful. If you are just wanting to convert files to .igs, I believe Adobe is coming out with a software for that.
      sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

I use Inventor cause I just like it. I think Solidworks would be the way to go if you have no previous experience or preference. It is probably the best choice for midrange cad packages. Alibre looks to be a pretty good package also at about 1/3 the price of Solidworks or Inventor.

There are converters "only" available if that is all you ned to do. Those you pay by the conversion(~$50). It is cheap compared to owning a CAD package. PSExchange comes to mind for that. Any format into any format.
        Last edited by cmmguy; 04-26-2007, 10:21 AM.
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I have CADkey 99, but haven't drawn much in it since HS. I mainly use it to come up with Volumes of objects. Haven't yet mastered the cutting and extruding surfaces.

As far as UG I have only opened the program like 5 or 6 times, and am pretty confident in saying that I have no clue what I am doing in that one.

I just got Solid works, and am begining to play around with that a little. It seems pretty straight forward. I would assume as long as you constrain everything correctly this would be a very easy way to import the models.

Does anyone know if AUTOCAD has any capabilities in this stuff? We have full licenses for that, but I have never draw anything other than 2D with it.

Comment

Inventor is Autodesk's solid product.

Comment

I use Inventor. Solid Works and Inventor are very much alike.

Hey Matt, didn't CadKey go out of bussiness?
              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
                I use Inventor. Solid Works and Inventor are very much alike.

Hey Matt, didn't CadKey go out of bussiness?
                No, not really, they were bought out by someone, it isn't made anymore, but I think there is still a sub-site where you can get help.

http://www.kubotekusa.com/products/cadkey.html
                sigpic
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

All I have is paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                    All I have is paint.
                    What color?
                    sigpic

Comment

I use UG and I-DEAS. Unlike Matt I haven't really experienced any problems with UG but then we may be doing very different things. I use it mainly to create points and get XYZIJK data for the CMM on complex surfaces. The iges files created for PCDMIS work fine although occasionally it does turn a surface inside out so that the vector is pointing the wrong way.
                      When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                        What color?
                        microsoft

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                          microsoft
                          that would be green...

Comment

ProEngineer and Imageware
                            sigpic

Comment

The best converter only is also the cheapest, CadKey or RealYze is the new name. There are a lot of freebies out there (shareware), so give -em a try, and see what you like. I suggest you abandon igs altogether and get used to using step. Solidworks is gaing popularity, but Pro-E has more uses. Of course the ol reliable and my secret weapon is MasterCam!
                              sigpic

Comment