Hexagon Launcher Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hexagon Launcher Info

Just wondering what the "Hexagon Launcher" is/does. We are running 2019r1 and my company has tightened up admin rights and security. PCDMIS proper is on the exemption list, so we can run parts. But the "Hexagon Launcher" is not and our local IT dude has to log-in using his credentials to let it open PCDMIS. EVERY STINKING TIME.

Just wondering if anybody had any info that might help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Start keeping a log of how much time is spent waiting for your local IT dude to start the software. Use this as numerical evidence to support your case that someone with sufficient authority should coerce said local IT dude or whomever has the power to add this "Hexagon Launcher" to the exemption list.

Parallel path: use the amount of time it takes (days, weeks, months), to resolve something that should have been an obvious immediate no-brainer fix the first or second time your local IT dude had to log-in using his credentials for you to access the tools needed to do your job as evidence the IT department is overdue to have some dead (or dumb) wood removed before it becomes fuel for a forest fire. (repetition without the similies: If your IT department did not recognize and resolve this without coercion straight away, they probably are not competent to do their jobs and ought to be replaced before their ineptitude causes significantly more damage to the company.)

HTH & as always ymmv

sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

• louisd
      louisd commented
      Editing a comment
      some companies have very strict (no gray area) IT policies as a result of compliance requirements for their line of work (ITAR, Gov't Secret/Top Secret, etc). A workaround to this, if the IT restrictions are unyielding, is to keep the CMM PC OFFLINE, which will enable IT to give you full admin rights, as expected for PCDMIS machines.

From what I can tell the Hexagon launcher does stuff like check for updates and provide the 'origami' startup screen that you see when you launch the software.

I have had issues with this at some places including an extra window that was semi-functional (which was pretty weird by the way) and these things happen only when starting through the launcher. You can create a direct shortcut to PC-DMIS and bypass the launcher (shortcut to pcdlrn.exe) and it will work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rondog View Post
      From what I can tell the Hexagon launcher does stuff like check for updates and provide the 'origami' startup screen that you see when you launch the software.

I have had issues with this at some places including an extra window that was semi-functional (which was pretty weird by the way) and these things happen only when starting through the launcher. You can create a direct shortcut to PC-DMIS and bypass the launcher (shortcut to pcdlrn.exe) and it will work fine.
      unless the wanker IT "people" have it locked down so you can't
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

We had to get the 'Launcher' and support pages 'white listed', so that we can access them.
        WE have fairly strict guidelines from IT also.

Comment

Sounds like you're running PC-DMIS as administrator. While this isn't best practice you can probably avoid this by turning off "run as admin" for the desktop icon or the start menu icon and finding the PCDLRN.EXE and just setting this to run as admin. Neither is necessary for PC-DMIS to work unless you haven't set up your permissions correctly. But the for certain it's not necessary to run the launcher as admin.
          Systems Integrator
          Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Fuller View Post
            Sounds like you're running PC-DMIS as administrator. While this isn't best practice you can probably avoid this by turning off "run as admin" for the desktop icon or the start menu icon and finding the PCDLRN.EXE and just setting this to run as admin. Neither is necessary for PC-DMIS to work unless you haven't set up your permissions correctly. But the for certain it's not necessary to run the launcher as admin.
            Willst I understand what your saying, I'm as old school as it gets. For the last 30+ years and thousands of versions of PCDMIS, I've been told to "Run As Administrator"... bad habits die hard.

FYI - I will try this ASAP. Thanks.
            Last edited by John Kugler; 02-14-2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Just change the shortcut on your desktop to point to PCDLRN.EXE, you don't have to run the launcher to start PC-DMIS.
              PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP6

Comment

Originally posted by John Kugler View Post

Willst I understand what your saying, I'm as old school as it gets. For the last 20+ years and thousands of versions of PCDMIS, I've been told to "Run As Administrator.... once"... bad habits die hard.

FYI - I will try this ASAP. Thanks.
                You have been told.. though there's a little bit more to that statement.
                PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
                Global 7-10-7 DC800S

Comment

Sounds like you're running PC-DMIS as administrator. While this isn't best practice you can probably avoid this by turning off "run as admin" for the desktop icon or the start menu icon and finding the PCDLRN.EXE and just setting this to run as admin. Neither is necessary for PC-DMIS to work unless you haven't set up your permissions correctly. But the fineor certain it's not necessary to run the launcher as admin.
                  so does the PCDLRN.exe NEED to be run as admin (except for the first time)?

I’m confused. I got it to work without it, and no issues with IT.

And what’s the trick to get operator mode? It’s been year’s and I forgot.
                  Last edited by John Kugler; 02-14-2020, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kugler View Post

so does the PCDLRN.exe NEED to be run as admin (except for the first time)?

I’m confused. I got it to work without it, and no issues with IT.

And what’s the trick to get operator mode? It’s been year’s and I forgot.
                    So in the appendix of the readme there are a list of permissions that need to be set for PC-DMIS to work properly without admin rights. Since you're already a PC admin on your computer it doesn't really make much of a difference which way you run it except in newer versions of Windows when you actually run it as administrator it might prevent you from seeing shared drives.

You will also need to have full read/write access for any user who logs into the machine that may need to use the CMM too who isn't already a local administrator on the PC too. I tend to put my files in the public documents folders since this area of the PC should never be restricted.

To get operator mode you need to edit the shortcut to look like this in the target area "C:\Program Files\Hexagon\PC-DMIS 2019 R2 64-bit\Launcher\HexagonLauncher.exe" LauncherPC-DMIS.config /o

the /o flag is the operator flag which will put it into operator mode.
                    Systems Integrator
                    Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment

So in the appendix of the readme there are a list of permissions that need to be set for PC-DMIS to work properly without admin rights. Since you're already a PC admin on your computer it doesn't really make much of a difference which way you run it except in newer versions of Windows when you actually run it as administrator it might prevent you from seeing shared drives.

You will also need to have full read/write access for any user who logs into the machine that may need to use the CMM too who isn't already a local administrator on the PC too. I tend to put my files in the public documents folders since this area of the PC should never be restricted.

To get operator mode you need to edit the shortcut to look like this in the target area "C:\Program Files\Hexagon\PC-DMIS 2019 R2 64-bit\Launcher\HexagonLauncher.exe" LauncherPC-DMIS.config /o

the /o flag is the operator flag which will put it into operator mode.
                      Thanks, what about the PCDLRN.exe shortcut for operator mode?

NM, I am good. Thanks for the help.
                      Last edited by John Kugler; 02-14-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Peter Fuller
                        Peter Fuller commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I know you figured it out but the same thing, just use /o at the end of the target after you create the shortcut.

Pc=Demon still writes to the registry I believe to pass data, I think probe data? Which is unheard of in all modern software, and if you told your It weenie that, he'd shart himself.
                      You need every tool at your disposal to exorcize the PC-Demon.
                      sigpic

Comment