Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMM reports in model coordinates

Was just wondering how people deal with this:
    We are required to report CMM results in model coordinate system to customer.
    We generally localize our coordinate system to local Datums through the alignment.
    These Datums are rarely orthogonal to the model coordinate system.
    Localizing the coordinate system makes it easier for first piece to evaluate the report and is traditionally what was always done here.
    We do a manual iterative alignment to model coordinates followed by local DCC alignment(s).
    The manual alignment is generally to any feature easy to hit (it does not have to be accurate).
    I can recall the manual alignment to get nominals of all points in the model coordinate system.
    But if I do so, the deviation changes for each point because the skew is to points other than those that define local datums.
    We are adding a DCC alignment to the local Datums in model coordinates before the localized alignment to recall if we need to send the report to the customer.
    Constructing this skew can be time consuming and since many times we have ten or so, local Datum schemes, we have the task of adding ten or so alignments to those local features in model coordinates which adds much time to the process as well as possible error (many people of varying experience program here).
    Opinions??

Have you tried using iterative alignments, these will not alter your model coordinate system and should work fine.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jon_dav_uk View Post
      Have you tried using iterative alignments, these will not alter your model coordinate system and should work fine.
      That's what I use. Once you have done it a few times, they save a ton of time. I use them for tooling balls or J-corners that have the model coordinates associated with them.
      sigpic
      Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
      PCDMIS 2012
      Windows Office XP

Comment