Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security

We have 3 CMMs all running 3.7mr3.
    Everyone on all shifts uses the same login.
    We have been providing some security by making all of the "master" programs read-only. This prevents an accidental overwrite of the master program.

Unfortunately, this is no longer sufficient.

What I tried to set up was a secure directory on the server that has very limited "write" access.

I transferred a group of programs over to this directory.

Now when we tried to run them with PC-DMIS (using the standard login that had no "write" privileges) from that directory we got the "serialization" error.
    What's up with that?
    Does PC-D write a temp file when loading a program?
    Lately, it occurs to me
    What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Are you trying to run the programs straight from the server. I think its been posted before there is a problem doing that.
    sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Here is how we got around that. All master programs are on server. All operators, (and programmers), copy program from server onto local disc prior to running the program. No one ever runs a program from the server. You could just set up one temp folder and maybe a script to dump the contents of to the trash every 24 hours or something. It is a bit of a pain having to dig out and copy the program fresh for every run, but easily worth the security of always having a clean "master" program for future reference. HTH
      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

We have been running from the server for years. That is not the problem.
        Apparently PC-D is trying to write something while loading a program.
        Lately, it occurs to me
        What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

Has anyone ever tried to run a program from a CD? That might be an easy way to do it.

Otherwise, I'm thinking along Wes's line of thought. Perhaps instead of the operator transferring the program you could do the following.

Place all your programs in a write protected folder (folder 1) on the network.
          Setup another folder (folder 2) which has full access.
          Setup a script that will delete the contents of folder 2 at some point each day and then copy the contents of folder 1 to folder 2. The middle of the night would be a good time to do this if you don't run 24-7 otherwise you might try at lunch or some other time.

Doing that will ensure that at at least one point each day the programs in folder 2 will not be corrupted.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
            Has anyone ever tried to run a program from a CD? That might be an easy way to do it.

Otherwise, I'm thinking along Wes's line of thought. Perhaps instead of the operator transferring the program you could do the following.

Place all your programs in a write protected folder (folder 1) on the network.
            Setup another folder (folder 2) which has full access.
            Setup a script that will delete the contents of folder 2 at some point each day and then copy the contents of folder 1 to folder 2. The middle of the night would be a good time to do this if you don't run 24-7 otherwise you might try at lunch or some other time.

Doing that will ensure that at at least one point each day the programs in folder 2 will not be corrupted.
            I have run programs off CD's before. When the job is done, all the data, programs, etc., get burned to DVD's (used to be CD's) and they get removed from teh hard drive. Once, I had to set one of these back up (customer issues) and run some more parts, about a month AFTER the job left here, and I just ran them from the DVD. Well, if you try to CLOSE the program, you will get an error since it can not write, if you QUIT, no errors and I got no errors opening it up and running it.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
              I have run programs off CD's before. When the job is done, all the data, programs, etc., get burned to DVD's (used to be CD's) and they get removed from teh hard drive. Once, I had to set one of these back up (customer issues) and run some more parts, about a month AFTER the job left here, and I just ran them from the DVD. Well, if you try to CLOSE the program, you will get an error since it can not write, if you QUIT, no errors and I got no errors opening it up and running it.
              So it sounds as if you could simply burn a cd or dvd of all your programs and the operators could use those. Of course, if that works I would think running from a write protected folder would work as well.

Perhaps John could give us some more details as to when the error occurs. When the program is first opened? When the operator starts the execution? When the program is done running and tries to save a report? When the operator tries to close the program using the close command instead of the quit command? When pc-dmis attempts to do an autosave?

Comment

So it sounds as if you could simply burn a cd or dvd of all your programs and the operators could use those. Of course, if that works I would think running from a write protected folder would work as well.

Perhaps John could give us some more details as to when the error occurs. When the program is first opened? When the operator starts the execution? When the program is done running and tries to save a report? When the operator tries to close the program using the close command instead of the quit command? When pc-dmis attempts to do an autosave?
                Well, th ebig advantage to useing a CD over a directory is that no matter WHAT you do, you can not over-write the program on the CD (providing it is NOT a re-writable) but you can, one way or another, over-write a file on a hard drive.
                sigpic
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Well, th ebig advantage to useing a CD over a directory is that no matter WHAT you do, you can not over-write the program on the CD (providing it is NOT a re-writable) but you can, one way or another, over-write a file on a hard drive.
                  I suppose though the downside is that you could end up with more than one CD and would have to be changing them all the time. If you could divide the programs between different CD's in a logical manner and keep them filed properly it wouldn't be too hard to find the correct one.

Comment

I suppose though the downside is that you could end up with more than one CD and would have to be changing them all the time. If you could divide the programs between different CD's in a logical manner and keep them filed properly it wouldn't be too hard to find the correct one.
                    Burn them to a BLU-RAY disk, can probably get most of ANY companies programs on one of those suckers!
                    sigpic

Comment

Burn them to a BLU-RAY disk, can probably get most of ANY companies programs on one of those suckers!

Yeah, but who knows, they may go the way of Beta-Max?

I guess the key would be to store them on CD but also have a copy hidden away on the server somewhere.

Comment

Yeah, but who knows, they may go the way of Beta-Max?

I guess the key would be to store them on CD but also have a copy hidden away on the server somewhere.
                        Yeah, the blu-ray will go away, when they start using that little-bitty disk they showed us in MIB.
                        sigpic

Comment

If you use HyperReports, doesnt it create an extra file in the folder where the program is located?
                          Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Yeah, the blu-ray will go away, when they start using that little-bitty disk they showed us in MIB.
                            I'm going to have to buy the White album again aren't I?

Comment

I'm going to have to buy the White album again aren't I?
                              Number 9

Number 9

Number 9

Number 9

sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment