X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GD&T interpertation and reporting

Good Morning Everyone,

Please see Attached.

Can you tell me how you would interpret and report on this call out please? How would I report the .5 call out under the position? GD&T Sample - 001.JPG

Thank you

best-fit of the 3 holes, then TP 0.5

It is a 'relationship' to refine the holes to each other.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• Smallsvillanova
      Smallsvillanova commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Matthew! Can you elaborate on how I would go about doing that? Are you saying like a best fit align to the 3 studs? and then dimension the TP after that?

insert-alignment-bestfit, select the 3, then TP all 3 to that alignment.

If you are using Xact dimensions, you should be able to build that FCF and TP them that way.
    sigpic
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• Smallsvillanova
      Editing a comment
      Awesome. Thank you. Much appreciated Matthew!

Will Xact let you build the bottom segment without A ?

Comment

Originally posted by Schlag View Post
      don't know, I've never used Xact.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Schlag View Post
        Yes, at least in 2019 R2 where I just tested it.
        AndersI
        SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

• Mike Ruff
          Mike Ruff commented
          Editing a comment
          It's legal for the lower composite to have no datums. If you look at 7.5.1.8 of ASME Y14.5-2009, it explains that it just means there are no rotational constraints, so it only controls the spacing and orientation to themselves and nothing else. Fig 7-45 of ASME Y14.5 shows a composite with no datums on the lowest segment.

• Smallsvillanova
          Editing a comment
          when I try to dimension it in xact with no datum it says "Datums are required for this dimension"

• Smallsvillanova
          Editing a comment
          If I were dimensioning it in legacy would it be display as radius?

Those are valid callouts per ASME Y14.5. In both cases the upper segment is to the DRF. The lower segment is refinement controlling the pattern of feature to itself only. Best fit as Matt correctly said, or Xactmeasure if you wanna. I would do both just as a sanity check then probably delete one of them. Usually I try to keep my programs either all legacy or all Xact, but when things get interesting I do mix it up, usually with comments making clear exactly which method was where and why.

HTH & ymmb
        sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
          Those are valid callouts per ASME Y14.5. In both cases the upper segment is to the DRF. The lower segment is refinement controlling the pattern of feature to itself only. Best fit as Matt correctly said, or Xactmeasure if you wanna. I would do both just as a sanity check then probably delete one of them. Usually I try to keep my programs either all legacy or all Xact, but when things get interesting I do mix it up, usually with comments making clear exactly which method was where and why.

HTH & ymmb
          Ooooh, I got one right!
          sigpic

Comment

Heads-up though, the lower segment is a "one-axis TP" since it is lacking the "Ø"-sign in front of the tolerance...
            PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP9

Comment

• AndersI
              AndersI commented
              Editing a comment
              ...without anything to indicate *which* direction...

A guess would be the distance between holes/studs.

• Smallsvillanova
              Editing a comment
              So how would I dimension that? I best fit aligned to the studs. Would I report out the true position of those studs to .5?

Originally posted by vpt.se View Post
            Heads-up though, the lower segment is a "one-axis TP" since it is lacking the "Ø"-sign in front of the tolerance...
            I think the diameter symbol missing from the lower segment is an error.

If it is not, then the tolerance zone is two sets of parallel planes, not one-axis.

edit: Not sure what happened to the text when I first posted.

Last edited by Wes Cisco; 01-16-2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Smallsvillanova
              Editing a comment
              That it was my superior believe as well, but none of us here are experts by any means. So it would be proper to best fit to the studs and then dimension the TP with the tolerance of .5?

Originally posted by Smallsvillanova View Post
            That it was my superior believe as well, but none of us here are experts by any means. So it would be proper to best fit to the studs and then dimension the TP with the tolerance of .5?
            Yes. But I would try to get engineering clarification on if the TP tolerance zone for the lower segment should be diameterical or planar.

Comment

• Smallsvillanova
              Editing a comment
              I will seek clarification tomorrow. Thank you Wes Cisco. How would I go about dimensioning that call out if it is a planar tolerance zone as opposed to planar?

It seems that I have a similar problem, I'm trying to set up positional measurements in the xact, but such a window is displayed

1.png2.png
            Last edited by Vladimir; 01-16-2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
              KIRBSTER269 commented
              Editing a comment
              As you go down the tier you can take away datums, you can't add them

• KIRBSTER269
              KIRBSTER269 commented
              Editing a comment
              That's upside down

• Vladimir
              Vladimir commented
              Editing a comment
              Saint eggs, it's working ! Great thanks!

Here I Fixed it.

Capture.JPG

a-group-of-engineering-students-and-their-teacher-were-given-37809209[1].png
            Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 01-16-2020, 04:12 PM.
            (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
            They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallsvillanova View Post
              I will seek clarification tomorrow. Thank you Wes Cisco. How would I go about dimensioning that call out if it is a planar tolerance zone as opposed to planar?
              Do not include the diameter symbol in the FCF. TTBOMR this is a tick box option in both legacy and Xactmeasure - just untick the box.

Comment

• Smallsvillanova
                Editing a comment
                when I try it in xact I get a message that says that dimension requires a datum? Also which box would it be in legacy? Would it be display as radius?