Trying to get probe.dat OFF network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get probe.dat OFF network

Edit: sorry ... meant the probe DATA ... got the answer now though so thanks!

Running PC-DMIS CAD++ Version 2017 R2 on our machines (newest one is 2019 but not worried about that part yet).

In adding our probes/files to a new CMM in our new building, I discovered that all of the probe.dat info is actually being pulled to our three active CMMs from the network! It explains some of the glitchy stuff that happens here from time to time. Is there a setting in the PC-DMIS Settings function that specifically tells PC-DMIS where these files are located (registry)? I have searched help and searched the logical places that info could be found but come up empty handed. Too many settings to search them all in a decent amount of time. My goal is to set ALL of the CMMs to stop using network DAT files and programs and get those files located on the C drive as intended. Got the program issue covered but the active probe file functions is a whole different issue.

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by tami_; 01-02-2020, 09:05 AM.

Open PCDMIS. Edit / Set Search Path / Probe Directory dropdown. Then show it where you want to pull the probes from.
    153010 Global Advantage w/ LSPX1H_T Analog Probe
    7107 Global Classic TP20
    2019R1 SP1 CAD++

Comment

If you are running Windows 10: Make a new folder (Probes) at each computer to store the probe data: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Hexagon\PC-DMIS\2019 R2\Probes.

Comment

Are you sure it is the PROBE.dat file you are having problems with?

From the PC-Dmis help...

PROBE.DAT *

This file defines the components that are available in PC-DMIS when you use the Probe Utilities dialog box (Insert | Hardware Definition | Probe) to create a probe assembly.

DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE. Instead, use the usrprobe.dat file to create or display customized probe hardware.

DO NOT DELETE THIS FILE. If you delete this file, those components become unavailable.
        You should never need to move, copy or edit the PROBE.dat file. If you are copying files for a new install on a new CMM you should only need to copy the .prb files (which can be found via the search path settings as described in previous posts). If you have any custom probe components, then you would also need any usrprobe.dat or custprb.dat files which are usually found in C:\ProgramData\Hexagon\PC-DMIS\
        version

The probe.dat file should only ever be in the directory to which you installed pc-dmis the default being C:\program files\Hexagon\PC-Dmis\
        version

If it is the PROB.dat file you're having problems with then I'm not sure how you got this working from a network location unless you somehow managed to install PC-Dmis on the network (which I assume would cause all kinds of licensing issues).
        Neil Challinor
        PC-DMIS Product Owner

T: +44 870 446 2667 (Hexagon UK office)
        E: [email protected]

Comment

• tami_
          tami_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks … it is the probe data … slip of the mind when I was typing this.

Are you referring to the .PRB files, or the probe.dat file?

The .prb files store the individual probe builds you have created and calibrated. These are created by the user.

The probe.dat file stores the definitions of all the individual components (probe heads / tips / modules / extensions etc) which are used to build the probe definition. This is created somewhere under Program Files by the system when installed and won't be on the network. There is (can be) a second file called USRPROBE.dat in which you can create components which get added to the list but again this is stored locally.

Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

• tami_
          tami_ commented
          Editing a comment
          I meant the probe data (.prb) files … although not so sure they haven't messed with that file too. Whoever set this up originally did everything Hexagon says not to do!

Originally posted by RIDER View Post
        Open PCDMIS. Edit / Set Search Path / Probe Directory dropdown. Then show it where you want to pull the probes from.
        THANK YOU! That was exactly what I needed. All of our machines are set to search for probe info on the company network. Now I can change that to the correct directory on the C:drive on each separate computer like it is SUPPOSED to be :-). Pretty sure that network glitches have been causing issues with this setup (it was setup that way by someone else, I am just trying to fix it).

Thanks for comments.

Comment

• neil.challinor
          neil.challinor commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad you got the answers you needed. Once you have set each machine to use local probe files the safest thing to do would be to reset the tips to their theoretical values and to re-calibrate each probe on each machine. If they were previously being shared between all machines from a central network location then there is no way of knowing which machine was the last to update each probe file.

Originally posted by tami_ View Post

THANK YOU! That was exactly what I needed. All of our machines are set to search for probe info on the company network. Now I can change that to the correct directory on the C:drive on each separate computer like it is SUPPOSED to be :-). Pretty sure that network glitches have been causing issues with this setup (it was setup that way by someone else, I am just trying to fix it).

Thanks for comments.
        Might not have been network issues, if you are using a probe file called "THIS.PRB" on all your machines, but that probe file ONLY exists in 1 place on the network drives, then ALL machines are using it, and if you weren't calibrating EVERY TIME you used it on a machine, it was using the data from some other machine that calibrated it, same if you were using it on more than one machine at a time, one machine will be using calibration data from some other machine.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment