Depth Vs Ending Offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depth Vs Ending Offset

Can anyone explain the difference between the Depth and Ending offset settings within the "contact path properties"?
    Attached Files

F1: Search: "Working with Contact Path Properties" will answer your question.

Comment

If you click on CAD the length of the cylinder will be populated into the length box. You can adjust the hits at the bottom the cylinder by either adjusting the length and leaving the end offset as zero, or leave the length as is and adjusting the ending offset (which is the better method I.M.O). Ending offset is essentially the depth setting for the other end of the cylinder.

Comment

Depth: Distance from start location of nominal cylinder. Ending offset: Distance from end location of nominal cylinder.

If you have a pin sticking out 25mm from the part surface, your cylinder height should be 25mm. And if that pin has a 1mm chamfer, then you want an ending offset of at least 1, maybe 1.5 or 2. And, to avoid hitting the part surface, you need the depth to be a value larger than 1/2 the probe diameter.
        "This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation."

Comment

To expand on what others have said...

If you click on a CAD model to define the feature, PC-Dmis 'snaps' to whichever end you clicked nearest to, and it will pick up the length from the CAD also.

Depth defines the distance from that snapped XYZ point, ending offset defines the distance from the other end (i.e. the XYZ point and the Length)

As a test, click on the CAD and set both depth and ending offset to zero, then use the increment arrows to make small adjustments to see where the path lines move.
          Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment