Adjusting the roll and pitch of the HH-MI Probe Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting the roll and pitch of the HH-MI Probe Head

Hi, everyone. I cannot figure out how to adjust the pitch and roll of this probe. It is off by about 2mm or so. bellow are pics in the 0 position and 180. Note the position of the tip relative to the bolt center.

I am new to the CMM world and do not want to continue messing around with the "mystery" screws on it. The documentation I have for it is more like marketing material.

IMG_20191210_043108.jpg

IMG_20191210_043127.jpg
    Attached Files

There’s a function in auto features that sets the pitch, make sure it’s set to Zero.
    Darroll
    2018R2

Comment

No can do... This is a manual probe looking for instructions or a manual before I start taking it apart.

Comment

I don't know if there is an issue there. That's what calibration is for. It compensates for physical deviations from the theoretically perfect locations. If you have calibrated both positions, then the software will know that there is a 2mm difference between them. I don't see where the problem is.
        PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

The probe needs to be fairly straight up and down so the shank does not hit the edge of the part. As it sits now, it is barely acceptable for use with a 3mm X 50 probe. I would like to use a 2mm X 50 instead.

Comment

AFAIK it's not adjustable in that way. It's likely a bent tip rather that an issue with the probe itself.
            Applications Engineer
            Hexagon UK

Comment

this type of head mounts with a single shaft going up into the arm and that shaft his held by a screw with a allen head .Use a allen head wrench and loosen just a little (with the rotated to A0B0) then rotate the entire head so it is more square to the cmm..this is the only adjustment you can make...
              Michael A Wildschutz Sr
              I Walk on The WildSide
              "To Each is Own"

Comment

Really? No way, I find it hard to believe there is no roll and/or pitch adjustment.

example instructions from Renishaw head:

2019-12-10 10_27_53-Window.pngexamp2.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by avongil View Post
                  Really? No way, I find it hard to believe there is no roll and/or pitch adjustment.

example instructions from Renishaw head:

2019-12-10 10_27_53-Window.pngexamp2.jpg
                  The adjustment device in this picture is a Renishaw AM1 which must be purchased separately from the PH10. I've probably seen several thousand different CMM in my life and I've never seen a single AM1 in the field. There is no pitch/roll adjustment on the HH-MI, from the factory it should be more than square enough for that tip to not shank. If it's not a bent styli and truly mechanically bent like that then it's probably been damaged internally from a hard crash.
                  Systems Integrator
                  Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment

I was hoping you would not say that... Il update later if I find a fix.

Comment

Peter unfortunately hit the nail square on the head - no pun intended...

It is certainly busted. 0.015" off center at the thread. What are my options for repair?

I fortunately have a TPES-AB that I swapped in from my Gauge 2000 that is working out. Pure luck - I have no idea what I am doing...

IMG_20191211_082454.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

Opinions needed:

Is there any reason why I should not replace it with a similar Renishaw head, for example a MIP ? They seem simpler and more serviceable.

From pictures of them online I see that the hexagon head will also pick up hits if the side of the unit is hit. That is a fairly large deal - let me know your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by avongil View Post
                          Opinions needed:

Is there any reason why I should not replace it with a similar Renishaw head, for example a MIP ? They seem simpler and more serviceable.

From pictures of them online I see that the hexagon head will also pick up hits if the side of the unit is hit. That is a fairly large deal - let me know your thoughts.

wait, you are saying that you are continually hitting the head itself? yeah, THAT would be a big deal, and a head killer.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by AndersI
                          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

If something can happen it will happen. Some dude named Murphy said that.
                            Last edited by avongil; 12-12-2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment