Calibration Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibration Issues

All of a sudden one of our machines started to have issues calibrating the tips. It will fail a lot of the angles saying it measured the probe diameter too large. The stddev of the tips usually varies and can be small or can be large but no matter what we do the tips fail multiple angles. I have tried to redo the lower level matrix and it passes (barely). I tried swapping out tips and probes from other machines and have still had the issue come up. I also tried swapping calibration spheres and it did not help. I can't figure out what the issue is. We also get a strange error every once in a while that says invalid reading of the measured point, but if we coninue the program it remeasures it and continues with no issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1- cleaning the scales
    2- checking if the air bearings turn around their axis
    3- checking the driving (belts or rack / pinions)

Comment

• zachzwp
      zachzwp commented
      Editing a comment
      I checked and cleaned these aside from the air bearings. How can I check them properly?

Is this on a standard CMM or a vision CMM?

Comment

• zachzwp
      zachzwp commented
      Editing a comment
      Im not 100% sure we have Hexagon Global Performance model with a scanning probe.

Did you use the cleaning putty on the magnetic faces of the probe body and modules?
    v2013 MR1, v2015.1
    B&S Global 544, 555
    Mitutoyo A504 w/PC-DMIS

sigpic
    Since 1994

Never force anything. Get a bigger hammer.
    (Advice from my dad.)

Comment

I get this from time to time. Most of the time it is a corrupted probe file. Try deleting the probe file then remaking it. 99% of the time that fixes the issue.
      Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was lost on 6-13-2020. I love you and I miss you.

Comment

• zachzwp
        zachzwp commented
        Editing a comment
        I will see if that corrects the issue

I'm currious how this ended.
      We had similar problem in the past, invalid measuring point, even during calibration, stddev was too big. it all ended in the probe head replacement...

Comment

It is entirely possible that the wrist wore out. They're only rated for a certain number of rotations before they need to be replaced.

My advise would be to methodically eliminate all physical/environmental factors detailed by the others and if you're still having issues it might be time to open up the wallet.
        SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

Originally posted by DAN_M View Post
          It is entirely possible that the wrist wore out. They're only rated for a certain number of rotations before they need to be replaced.

My advise would be to methodically eliminate all physical/environmental factors detailed by the others and if you're still having issues it might be time to open up the wallet.
          I agree with your second advice, but I think that a wrist problem would give bad results after rotating, not during the calibration (I can be wrong here !).
          If you calibrate some angles with a bad wrist, you will see defects when you come back to a calibrated position, but you should be able to calibrate fine...

Comment